Indicator stalk/ main beam nearly set on fire!!!

Sooo lads.... I went for a drive tonight with the lads and well!! I flicked on my main beam and and would not turn off!! Even with keys out the car! So I could smell burning and ripped off my steering wheel column plastic and the terminal for the beam fryed it self together and oh my I thought she was gonna go up in flames :( so like do you think this is common or unusual? what do you lot think?? 

If it hadn't been plugged in properly after a repair, it's possible.... I've repaired a few of the indicator mechs and the high/low selector is a solid design. But I've always thought that the loom up to the plug isn't long enough (for after market RKE), when reassembling. So it's possible that the thing was only just making contact and was getting hot.

It used to be more common in older cars. My mk1 Golf has deformed the plastic in the indicator stalk. Always worth changing the loom to use relays especially if you're using higher wattage bulbs. Most wiring connectors are tin plated. This degrades over time to tin oxide, which is an insulator. Less area for the connection, higher resistance, the hotter it gets.

I did stick In after market dipped head lights to be fair, my audi lads seem to think it was pushing to much power so it over heated my wiring, i have sorted today and took my aftermarket led's out... just crazy how it didn't shoot the fuse up to be fair, iv took the led's out now!! Never again 😂 look cool but its a no no from me 😂 thanks lads ❤😇

Edited by Nayy