Lupo GTI 1.8T - Forged engine, 290bhp

Cooper_GTI

My Little Lupo is now up for sale - owned her for over 8 years!

I don't frequent the forum very often any more as Facebook seems to have taken over, but it would seem rude not to offer it to you lot. This is arguably one of the best 1.8T GTI's on the road today... The engine mounts are designed to keep driveshaft angles correct and high enough so that the sump doesn't hit the floor like a lot of others and it's built with all factory parts.  She drives just like a stock GTI - very tractable and still manages 230 miles to a tank.

All the info you need is on my Ebay advert - Lupo GTI 1.8T Ebay Link

Open to offers around £6500.

Call Matt on 07944 640 484

Lupo1.jpg

Lupo2.jpg

Lupo3.jpg

Lupo4.jpg

42 minutes ago, weslangdon said:

Nice conversion, no airbag, and real springs and brakes? This might sound a little churlish but do converted cars ever achieve the cost of putting them together?

No not very often.

Nice car op, but dont think anyone will give you 6.5k for it.

By "forged" you mean the standard 1.8t internals I assume? 

Edited by Sausage

You don’t do that to a car with the mindset of selling it do you, you don’t modify any car for the thought of resale value, you do it to suit your own taste and what you want to make you smile.

18 hours ago, Sausage said:

No not very often.

Nice car op, but dont think anyone will give you 6.5k for it.

By "forged" you mean the standard 1.8t internals I assume? 

Which factory 1.8T engine do you know with forged internals proofed to 500bhp?  It states in the ebay advert that it has Mahle pistons, DM forged rifle drilled rods and the BAM steel crank.

Ref the price - a decent base GTI is at least £3-4k. Anyone who's in the real tuning game knows that to have an engine built to that spec costs upwards of £3000. Let alone brakes, suspension, wheels and hundreds of hours in labour, testing and mapping.

What else would you buy for £6500 that would be as fast, reliable and capable as this?

19 hours ago, weslangdon said:

Nice conversion, no airbag, and real springs and brakes? This might sound a little churlish but do converted cars ever achieve the cost of putting them together?

Absolutely they can Wes! 

By day I convert classic Mercedes G-Wagens... Removing the old useless, thirsty powerplant in favour of a newer mechanically pumped 5cyl, 20v turbo diesel with 320bhp and a huge spread of torque. A G-wagen that would cost circa £5k to buy is then worth over £20k with the torquey diesel lump. 

Here's my latest conversion that i've just sold...

G-Wagen.jpg

2 hours ago, Cooper_GTI said:

Which factory 1.8T engine do you know with forged internals proofed to 500bhp?  It states in the ebay advert that it has Mahle pistons, DM forged rifle drilled rods and the BAM steel crank.

Ref the price - a decent base GTI is at least £3-4k. Anyone who's in the real tuning game knows that to have an engine built to that spec costs upwards of £3000. Let alone brakes, suspension, wheels and hundreds of hours in labour, testing and mapping.

What else would you buy for £6500 that would be as fast, reliable and capable as this?

Ok as usual my reading skills let me down as I did not notice the rifle drilled rods part. Seen 1.8T engines and cars advertised as "forged" before and they just mean the standard internals because apart from the rods they are on some engine codes.

Out of interest are you selling it at the finish bid whatever that turns out to be?

3 hours ago, Cooper_GTI said:

Absolutely they can Wes! 

By day I convert classic Mercedes G-Wagens... Removing the old useless, thirsty powerplant in favour of a newer mechanically pumped 5cyl, 20v turbo diesel with 320bhp and a huge spread of torque. A G-wagen that would cost circa £5k to buy is then worth over £20k with the torquey diesel lump. 

Here's my latest conversion that i've just sold...

G-Wagen.jpg

There are quite a few people converting older w460 g-wagens as you say from thirsty ge280 spec to diesel, using either the 606a or the 5 cylinder above, it looks a very tidy conversion. I've had 3 G-wagens and made the mistake of turning to lpg for a ge280, it was a disaster, I'm not sure of the future for diesel though, I think Government and public are starting to see them as a serious pollution issue.

It's an impressive GTI to be fair. Well done on selling it at the price you wanted as well :) 

If I had bought it, I'd have made just one change....

Bye Bye Momo. Yuck. I utterly hate them :) Each to their own though.

On 10/2/2018 at 10:31 AM, Cooper_GTI said:

Where on earth do you get Gelandwagens for £5K? and what do you do by night -are you Batman?

At OP - Nice conversion & well done selling

16 hours ago, LR5V said:

Where on earth do you get Gelandwagens for £5K? and what do you do by night -are you Batman?

At OP - Nice conversion & well done selling

You should be able to buy a w460 [part time 4x4]for under £5k, [3 engines were available and 3 body styles, the only one which should breach the £5k figure are the short wheelbase soft tops] they are almost certain to need major metal work repairs to the rear corners and door, but all the panels are available; what's more difficult to fix is a tatty interior. There are a variety of experts who claim to be able to convert these to either 5 cylinder or 6 cylinder turbo diesel spec, not all though are genuine experts. A decade ago the fashion was to fit  large V8 to your old w460 and on occasion to the newer w463 [permanent 4x4]. High powered engines make no sense though as the trucks can't corner and are always thirsty however economical you might think they are.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2018 at 9:55 AM, weslangdon said:

You should be able to buy a w460 [part time 4x4]for under £5k, [3 engines were available and 3 body styles, the only one which should breach the £5k figure are the short wheelbase soft tops] they are almost certain to need major metal work repairs to the rear corners and door, but all the panels are available; what's more difficult to fix is a tatty interior. There are a variety of experts who claim to be able to convert these to either 5 cylinder or 6 cylinder turbo diesel spec, not all though are genuine experts. A decade ago the fashion was to fit  large V8 to your old w460 and on occasion to the newer w463 [permanent 4x4]. High powered engines make no sense though as the trucks can't corner and are always thirsty however economical you might think they are.

You are 100% correct in what you're saying - there are a lot of charlatans out there! 'Diesel Pump UK' being the biggest one. His conversions are extremely shoddy, he offers no kind of warranty and doesn't care when his engines blow up due to his own poorly built fuel pumps. That said, his marketing is top notch and he has a lot of work on... Makes me feel sorry for his customers. 

My conversions are (if i do say so myself) among the tidiest out there, but certainly not the cheapest. I completely remake the loom, use correct merc mounts, all fully welded boost pipes, deep large capacity sump, new props, 4.4 or 4.1 diffs, 6 speed C270 gearbox and fuel pumps built in Finland by the best in the game, all coupled with loads of cooling so you can happily tow 3.5T at speed without overheating issues and with 2 bar of boost from 2000rpm to 6500rpm they fly!

0 to 60 time is sub 9 seconds and 35mpg is possible on a run. They make such useable, retro trucks when built correctly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich said:

If the wife wants to do it then you can never do it.

Ah, but I have not shared the G wagen dream with wife!

I may be over simplifying this... but in baby steps - 

• Move to remote place where 24 hour shopping does not exist, Sunday shopping is looked upon as the work of the Antichrist, the internet is slow and uber + just eat just dont work.
  • Find out bad weather requires 4 wheel drive just to get home
  • Suggest G Wagen as creative and inspired solution

Do you think that could work?

17 hours ago, LR5V said:

Do you both convert G-Wagens?

Always loved them - wife keeps suggesting moving to the country, would love to get one of them...or a Unimog, but that's in a different league

I have one at the moment and have had two others in the past, I have a 3 litre petrol manual, permanent four wheel drive that gives me week in week out 19/20 mpg, which for a 2.25 ton beast isn't too bad and is proportionate to what I could get from a 1.4 litre Lupo given the Lupo's sub 1 ton weight

On 10/12/2018 at 9:16 AM, Rich said:

No, you need the range rover for living in the country.

In white with bling wheels and never get it dirty.

Did I mention I needed it to be reliable? - afraid that rules the Rangy out.

Any-hoo if I was to get one it would have to be like the Layer Cake one!

411GWWJERML.jpg

On 10/12/2018 at 2:19 PM, weslangdon said:

I have one at the moment and have had two others in the past, I have a 3 litre petrol manual, permanent four wheel drive that gives me week in week out 19/20 mpg, which for a 2.25 ton beast isn't too bad and is proportionate to what I could get from a 1.4 litre Lupo given the Lupo's sub 1 ton weight

M103 engine? Used to have a E-class

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LR5V said:

Did I mention I needed it to be reliable? - afraid that rules the Rangy out.

Any-hoo if I was to get one it would have to be like the Layer Cake one!

411GWWJERML.jpg

M103 engine? Used to have a E-class

correct, de-cat and the final silencer removed, but still very slow compared to a w124 with the same engine