GTI Xenons

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Wiring I’d say. You changed your igniters for new?

I’ve tried several different ones now.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Fuses, headlight switch, all-sorts of fun.

I’ve checked fuses and all look okay. I’ve tried a headlight switch as well. Is there some sort of relay for the lights?

1 hour ago, mk2 said:

Moisture can cause havoc with the positive feed, just like ignition cables.

I’ll have to follow the positive feed back and check that👍🏼

It’s gotta be wiring or the module then mate surely, need to really explore the loom, you’d  be surprised how some stuff can look fine but be totally knackered.

If the supply voltage is low, then they can exhibit the same symptoms. Is the car charging ok? Check the volts when you first turn them on, then again when they start flickering.

10 hours ago, mk2 said:

If the supply voltage is low, then they can exhibit the same symptoms. Is the car charging ok? Check the volts when you first turn them on, then again when they start flickering.

I’ll have to get a multi meter and try it. Car charges and starts perfectly as far as i can tell!

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yeah definitely get the lines tested, if you were closer I’d check it over for you, have you had it scanned lately?

Got myself a multimeter today, the power going to both headlights are exactly the same. This is the odd things, I swapped the headlights over today and the problem follows the headlight. So i swapped the bulb, same problem. Swapped the ballasts, same problem. Swapped the back casing with the wiring, same problem. What else can it be?😂

Oh, could’ve mentioned that! 😂 When you said headlights I assumed it was your headlights. Ok, so start again, one light is flickering, you swapped them over and the flickering one is still flickering? Or the other one is flickering when plugged into the other ones plug?

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Oh, could’ve mentioned that! 😂 When you said headlights I assumed it was your headlights. Ok, so start again, one light is flickering, you swapped them over and the flickering one is still flickering? Or the other one is flickering when plugged into the other ones plug?

Ah my bad! Yeah it still flickers when i swap them over and they are a slightly different colour. But swap the bulbs over and the problem stays with the flickering headlight.

Ok, just so I’ve got this right.

Original lights fitted both sides, only one flickers

When you switch the lights the one that flickers i.e the offside one, that one still flickers when it’s fitted to the nearside.

Switching the bulbs makes no difference to the original headlights.

When you put the spare headlight in on either side with either bulb it flashes no matter what. 

Does that round it up correctly?

I’d say you’ve probably been unlucky with your spare headlamp and it’s duff, hence it’s faulty wherever it goes, and the other original one is dicky too. You do put your car through it’s paces so it’s not unlikely that you’ve jangled summat loose. I’d be on the look out for another set of lights. 

Or a better/cheaper idea would be to find a friendly local-ish gti owner who doesn’t mind lending you theirs for a night or two, you know then that the lamps are sound and can take them out of the equation if the fault persists.