Jordankeeble

Has anyone done a flat bottom steering wheel upgrade?

Help ! I’d like to upgrade the steering wheel maybe from a gti  flat bottom if anyone has done it ! 

I'm planning to do this on my Gti when I can get a donor wheel to send away to http://royalsteeringwheels.com/vw/  They have quoted me as follows: 

Full modification (Thicker, Thumb grips added + Flat bottom), Smooth leather all around, Red stitching 

The price would be 205GBP + 9.99Postage (Parcelforce next day recorded) and we would need 1-2 weeks to do so. 

Worth it I think because the look/feel of the wheel is a big part of the driving experience and there are too many complications in swopping for something like a Momo because of the air bag considerations.  The standard wheel in the Gti looks OK but is very skinny.

24 minutes ago, davy26 said:

I'm planning to do this on my Gti when I can get a donor wheel to send away to http://royalsteeringwheels.com/vw/  They have quoted me as follows: 

Full modification (Thicker, Thumb grips added + Flat bottom), Smooth leather all around, Red stitching 

The price would be 205GBP + 9.99Postage (Parcelforce next day recorded) and we would need 1-2 weeks to do so. 

Worth it I think because the look/feel of the wheel is a big part of the driving experience and there are too many complications in swopping for something like a Momo because of the air bag considerations.  The standard wheel in the Gti looks OK but is very skinny.

Amazing thanks bud can they not supply the wheel aswell of do you have to supply !!

It will just bolt in but the wiring loom may be slightly different. You may be able to transfer your existing loom across. I've got an Audi TT wheel to fit in mine and I've fitted a similar S6 wheel to my T5.

2 hours ago, Jordankeeble said:

Amazing thanks bud can they not supply the wheel aswell of do you have to supply !!

I gather they can supply donor wheels, but (logically) only for makes/models where they regularly are asked to do an upgrade, (like common old BMWs).  I could remove mine and send it, but I'd not be keen on being unable to drive the car for a couple of weeks.

The only drawback with the 'Royal Solution' is that they can't reduce the diameter - surely the car would feel much better with a 320 mm or 300 mm wheel?

£205 isn't too bad of a price to be fair! If you get this done you'll have to post up some pictures of it! Would be very interested in the outcome!

20 hours ago, Jordankeeble said:

Help ! I’d like to upgrade the steering wheel maybe from a gti  flat bottom if anyone has done it ! 

I'll buy your old wheel off you if it's in ok condition (without the airbag bit). Mine is so worn, it's not funny. I wonder why they disintegrate like that.

Tried fitting my TT wheel yesterday. Physically it fits, the problem is that the clockspring for the airbag and horn wiring mounts on the steering wheel rather than the column. I'm sure it can be made to fit by replicating the 3 holes in the wheel. Not sure if the horn will work either as the newer wiring has 2 connections to the wheel whereas the older stuff uses the column to earth the horn.

Thought I'd update this thread with some photo's. I had to drill some holes, do a bit of filing and 3D print a bit. Just need to get an airbag to finish it. Much nicer feel.

tt_wheel_4.jpg

tt_wheel_3.jpg

tt_wheel_2.jpg

tt_wheel_1.jpg

tt_wheel_5.jpg

tt_wheel_6.jpg

tt_wheel_7.jpg

tt_wheel_8.jpg

tt_wheel_9.jpg

tt_wheel_10.jpg

tt_wheel_11.jpg

tt_wheel_12.jpg

tt_wheel_13.jpg

Really nice work. Amazing what you can do with the help of a 3D Printer.... 

What I'd love to see is someone get the steering controls work. Will be an absolutely mare, but no reason a DIY'r couldn't hack them to work.

You have put a MK4 steering wheel in an arosa.

Doesn't have a flat bottom.

On 11/28/2018 at 8:40 PM, Rich said:

You have put a MK4 steering wheel in an arosa.

Doesn't have a flat bottom.

I'm illustrating the process of fitting a later steering wheel, it's shape isn't the show stopper.

Unfortunately it's just a continuation of the day job. Looks better now I've screwed the airbag on. Very nice on the hands compared to the standard one. I need to swap the airbag connector so it's wired correctly, it's just got a resistor at the moment.

Get that airbag in mate.... It might save your life.

Being 6'5", I've always hoped the seatbelt would save me before I get punched in the face ☺️. When I find the Arosa wheel wiring, I'll get some pictures of the 2 connectors side by side and hopefully they'll be the same crimp and can be swapped over. Otherwise I'll just splice them to make a hybrid.