New Brakes!! Suggestion please.

musho007

Some VR6 stuff might be usable with mods, but not really looked into it. Otherwise I've seen custom carriers to take bigger brakes but add in disks and calipers and it ends up several times the price of G60 kit for minimal gain on a road car. Plus if you go bigger you will need 16" wheels.

G60 is the most cost effective so far, but feel free to find and share alternatives....

I've BBS RC 16" 

So they'll clear a fair few bbk's

My car also has abs.. 

So where does that leave me. 

What's vr6 288 mean? Are those calipers? Or discs? And vauxhall discs? Sorry but I'm gonna need that one spelled out for me . 😂

22 hours ago, musho007 said:

What's vr6 288 mean? Are those calipers? Or discs? And vauxhall discs? Sorry but I'm gonna need that one spelled out for me . 😂

Mk3 Golf have similar hubs to our Gti's, use carriers & calipers from VR6 brakes that had 288mm diameter discs. But the majority of Mk3's were 5x100 pcd wheels, meaning off the shelf discs wont fit . But Vauxhaull had similar discs with 4x100 PCD - was it Calibra discs? - cant even think of the last time I saw one of those on the road!

You have ABS so it shouldn't lock up with bigger brakes. 

Simpler to just get the G60 carriers - use your current calipers and look into 280 discs and brake pad material. Stainless brake hoses make a nice change to feel as well

34 minutes ago, LR5V said:

Mk3 Golf have similar hubs to our Gti's, use carriers & calipers from VR6 brakes that had 288mm diameter discs. But the majority of Mk3's were 5x100 pcd wheels, meaning off the shelf discs wont fit . But Vauxhaull had similar discs with 4x100 PCD - was it Calibra discs? - cant even think of the last time I saw one of those on the road!

You have ABS so it shouldn't lock up with bigger brakes. 

Simpler to just get the G60 carriers - use your current calipers and look into 280 discs and brake pad material. Stainless brake hoses make a nice change to feel as well

cheers for the explanation.

Ill probably go the g60 route as you say. seems like less hassles