Door won't open

creon

Right the passenger door will not open from the inside or outside of the car, it seems that it won't unlock itself whilst all other doors do lock and unlock normally.

I've tried all the obvious of tapping the lock, unlocking and locking, pushing against the door and disconnecting the power to that door. No joy.

I noticed that the cable from the outside door handle to the lock was undone so I've also hooked it back on. 

Any suggestions please before I hack it open and replace the lock with second hand, if that's possible.

By the sounds of it, you have an S spec car with central locking....? In which case the follwing may help.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post this, hopefully the mods won't delete it, as the Lupo is an older car now. You can bypass (lock or unlock) any older generation VAG car by physically powering the lock motors. So normally the motor is powered/controlled via the central locking system, but it is possible to physically connect power to the motor (just like electric windows), to run the motor forward or in reverse, to lock or unlock the mechanism.

You will need to access the power cables that go to the lock. Cut them. Connect 12V to the motor pair. Wait for the clunk. Sorted. Being the left side door, there are various places to get to them. The easiest would probably be via the top door card.

connect 12v to the motor (trial and error which polarity- one way locks, the other unlocks). Don't leave power connected for more than 2 seconds or you'll burn it out. When sorted, reconnect the cables. But you will need to pull the lock out to clean the microswitches. Or leave the power off and use the lock as a manual one by pushing the button down from the inside or opening it by pulling the lever.

like @Rich says. It's a pain.

IMG_0711.JPG

Just had another thought, FYI... google mk4 golf locks. There's loads on the subject....!

Edited by mk2

Prise off the key lock surround part on the door handle, make a metal hook with 90 degree bend and short tail out of thick wire coat hanger or double it up if too weak / thin, pull handle out feed in the hook wire between handle and lock wiggle it behind the lever and pull....

Voila:

LOL saw the part of "doors lock and unlock normally" at the end of the 1st line, missed the part about that door not unlocking. My bad.

So trim off then and have a rummage? probably have to apply 12v to the motor as said above.

Edited by Sausage

connecting 12v to the motor was my next move and yes there is a lot of information on a gogle on the subject, a bit too much!

another option is to dremel cut and expose the plastic cog and turn it as if to operate the motor manually. i need a quick fix as its the mrs car and for some reason it always has issues.

another question, i read that if i was to get a replacement that they are colour coded, and installing the wrong colour will result in another deadlock. is this true? cos i know of an arosa in the scrappy down the road, or an ebay lock for £20.

Edited by creon

Try trim off and lock unlock repeatedly while direct tapping on the mech / motor inside the door with something suitable, before going for destructive options. You can get hands on it in the door and feel if it is at least trying to unlock.

you can get to the lock cable loom in the passenger footwell. But with the door closed, it's no fun. The 12V method is the least pain. I'm not sure, but I think it's also the suggested method that Vdub stealers use, when 'tapping' doesn't work.

The other whacky method which very rarely works, but worth trying is lock the car normally, all doors locked. Disconnect the battery. wait for power to die, then reconnect. If the controller thinks there's a problem, sometimes it chucks a pulse of power to all the lock motors to unlock all doors.

The CCM (1CO 962 258 N ) is located in the drivers footwell. But I don't know which wires go off to the LH door lock motor. You could access the wires from there, by accessing the pins in the plug. That's an alternative I just thought of! You'll need a decent wiring diagram though. :)

• 2 weeks later...