Radiator fan speeds / Differences

cj1

Hello, can anyone answer whether different models have different speed fans? I took the one from an SDI I have and put it on the rally car in place of the original one that came off a 1.0 AUC Model. I can't help but think the cooling has suffered since. 

This is the only thing that has changed, I run no thermostat too and water is pumping around freely. I've pressure tested the system and that's fine too. No leaks.

Also, I've just acquired a 6N Polo with a 1.0 AUC engine fitted, and the fan in that has 3 wires going to it instead of the 2 on the Lupo. I would have thought these would have had the same fan on them? 

TL:DR; what's the way to get the highest speed factory fan on the car / what model does it come from? 

As a very general rule diesels run cooler than petrol engines - the current fan may not cool at the same rate as petrol one. AC equipped cars have more cooling to deal with -if it was me, my first choice would be a fan from an AC petrol car.

Seem to recall 3 wires means 2 speed fan - is the Polo an AC car? your original fan may have been off a non-AC car with single speed.