Subframe alignment

Never done it on a Lupo, but the only way I know besides having a factory alignment jig, or all the measurements and a tape measure, is by having another lupo for reference. Millimetres matter. You do need to be as precise as setting up steering alignment, or camber will be out.

I'm just thinking that you might be able to assemble everything leaving the sub frame bolts just nipped up, complete with wheels on, and set it using a pry bar. If you have a flat, horizontal, slippery surface (glossy magazines), get the wheels about parallel with the weight of the car pressing down. Move everything till the camber of both sides are exactly the same. @Rich- what do you think? 

The luxury of having a subframe in the garage has meant I was able to look at how much play there is in the rear subframe bolts that double as control arm bolts - with my super pro crush tube I have no more than 1mm play around the bolt. Therefore, unlike every Golf I have owned there is no real adjustment possible - same deal with rear beam.

When I get mine back together I will get a 3D alignment done, if required I will invest in some alignment/camber correction shims for the rear beam.

I get it. Uneccessary on a VAG car IMO. Our cars are manufactured to much higher standards. Useful if there's been an accident and something's been bent though. Or perhaps track work. But you'd need to run really low profile tyres to notice any difference in handling.

The trouble is, the way a rear beam flexes to change the camber and caster when it goes up and down while the other side doesn't means it depends on rear loading too. Everyone lightens their cars when they do track stuff, so the whole dynamic geometry is out when on a circuit. Not having messed with rear beams much, I'd guess that not only would the static geometry need tweeking, but the dynamics too. That'd mean the entire rear beam and mounting points would need chopping about. Nightmare scenario! Lots of fun learning about every incremental change though.

• 3 weeks later...