Lupo 1.2 TDI annoying driving Noise

LupoTDI1.2

Droning noise in the vid that seems to rise with revs?

Has this suddenly appeared or got gradually worse over time?

You need to confirm where the sound is coming from, front of car, centre, left or right, when it does it and when it does not do it. If it is only when moving does it change noise or go away in gear, rolling in neutral, on the power / off the power, turning left right etc.

Knackered wheel bearings will be stiff and notchy turning hub (not wheel) by hand or rough running and have play. They will also make more noise when loaded as the outside wheel in a turn. Noise will also be noticeably left or right of the car.

Worn Inner CV joints will have play and probably a split gaiter and the noise will be nearer the middle.

New tyres dont actually mean much you need a variety of road surfaces to confirm it isnt the tyres.

the sound gets louder by climbing speed. cant really notice any difference when turning fast or anything.

it does sound exactly same in neutral coasting.

I recently bought the car but went on a long trip after oilchange. it hasnt gone worse. 

I had the car lifted and simulated high speeds carefully. its not the tyres then. Has to be gearbox or bearings..

but There was no play on the wheels that I could feel. maybe a minimum small amount of noise from the right bearing . dunno really. 

Im worried if its the gearbox.

Edited by LupoTDI1.2

H'mmm that seems unusual and means the bearings are pretty old.

penetrating fluid, blow torch and the large hammer should be enough. make sure the puller is only pressing the shaft if using that. 

Edited by Sausage

Just had a close look at your pic... to remove the wheel bearings, you "must" remove the splined CV joint shaft. Remove the nut and push it out. Then it'll be obvious how to remove the wheel bearing. They just pop out. Usually you need to cut off the inner race that presses onto the hub shaft.

I assume he meant the cv joint shaft is rusted to the hub and he cant get it out even pressing directly on the end of the driveshaft (minus nut of course). Why else would he take off the entire hub and driveshaft? 

I dunno. I've never ever experienced a stuck splined shaft. But since everything is out, it's only a few more £ to do the bearings... if it really is stuck, i'd just smack it with a heavy persuader.

although if it is the cv joint, now that it's all out, the shaft could be detached from the cv spider by just pulling it away from the outer cv joint just to check what it's all like. Lots of options... if the cv is gone, then no option but to destroy the bearings.

With right tool (above), the drive shaft will be removed easily. To change the bearing, you need a special puller kit which is for use with the 3L and Audi A2 1.2Tdi only. Any other method, including a press, will damage the new bearing. Here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-H162-16pcs-Front-Wheel-Bearing-Tool-62-mm-Audi-A2-VW-Lupo-1-2-TDI-Tools-UK-NEW/322445943891?epid=1673510989&hash=item4b1346a453:g:IKAAAOSw32lYwBlH

RAB

Rab knows.

Different animal and as for the hub puller, I use a gear puller, for loads of things, very very handy tool.

Never hammer shafts, always a cock to get the bolt back on.

Well you'd hope they would have enough sense to be able to get it out without damaging the threads or be able to recover the situation if they did.

As said never seen a cv rusted into a hub before but take op at his word that is what he meant (even though he said bearing) and hopefully that is what he is trying to press out in the pic. Maybe someone has gone mad with threadlok and it's all up in the splines who knows...

OP if you are trying to do anything else except press out the driveshaft from the hub in that pic then it aint happening....

Edited by Sausage

@RAB isn't that the same as a regular lupo wheel bearing, but slightly smaller? I've never worked on lupo 1.2 so dunno. I'm curious.

Usually instead of hooking a tool over the back inner bearing shell that is right up against the flange, into two thin cut recesses, you just get the angle grinder to cut it off... I've even seen that done on the diff bearings inside a gearbox! Obviously you have to clean really well afterwards....

here's a pic of a 3L front wheel bearing. It is backward compared to a regular one. I wonder why?

And the manual drawing, but it doesn't show much.

IMG_0700.JPG

IMG_0701.PNG

Edited by mk2

No, as usual the 3L is different. Smaller OD bearing than any other Lupo. Otherwise no difference, just smaller to save weight. Unless installed correctly, the ABS won't function. With the correct tools, this job can be easily done without removing the hub. A gear puller will never work because you are just pushing against the drive shaft; either the shaft or the bearing (probably the former) will eventually move, leaving the second still in place!

RAB

Edited by RAB
  • Like 1

I still dont see why you think he is trying to pull the hub out with the puller as opposed to pressing the shaft out the back of the hub based on that picture. He didnt say the hub / bearing wont budge he said the cv joint wont budge, plus he is pressing on the shaft there nothing else (unless he has the nut on or a socket etc in the hole we cant see, in which case he is pressing on what he is attempting to pull on and should be taken outside and shot).

Something odd is going on, but I dunno what... from the pic of a new bearing & flange, it looks like the bearing assembly has to be pushed out from behind, but only after you get the cv out. And then there's that funky nut thing what ever that is?

On 8/29/2018 at 1:33 PM, Sausage said:

I still dont see why you think he is trying to pull the hub out with the puller as opposed to pressing the shaft out the back of the hub based on that picture. He didnt say the hub / bearing wont budge he said the cv joint wont budge, plus he is pressing on the shaft there nothing else (unless he has the nut on or a socket etc in the hole we cant see, in which case he is pressing on what he is attempting to pull on and should be taken outside and shot).

I presume that he is trying to press out the drive shaft against the bearing assembly. It will be impossible to remove the bearing assembly with the puller because there will be nothing to use the lead screw of the puller once the drive shaft is removed. You can only do this with the right tools.

RAB