Caliper carriers 256 x 20mm

yeha

Yep, one of mine had seized a while back, blow torch and hammer / drift the slider out, clean the hole and slider up regrease with copper grease and job done.

if they are rusty and you want them looking nicer they can be cleaned up, make an electrolysis rust removal tank and chuck them in there.

Ok that makes some sense now. 

What dont you like about the 280mms? wheel size? extra weight etc?

I have 280mm kit in a box but never tried it so dont know what it compares like. I have a spare TDi with standard disks and brakes so have the parts available preferably if you dont mind swap part ex for your 280 parts. 

The 280mm brakes are 22mm thick, the 256's are 20mm. On the Lucas 54 caliper, the pads are too thick for the gap that's left, so you either turn down the disc or machine the pad. Get it wrong and the pad drags and warps the discs, which is why mine vibrates under braking. They will work with Polo 6N2 GTi calipers as the GTi uses a 256x25 disc and the caliper is wider. The pads are the same. Going back to standard will give me 3 cars with the same brakes, 14" rims, and I've never felt like I need any extra. I don't even need to bleed anything if I just swap carriers.