Rear Stub Axle

I am currently in the process of doing a rear axle rebuild parts are coming in thick and fast now. I am having trouble getting the ASB sensor out of the stub axle on the rear? any tips or guidance would be handy please.

hammer and implement of violence.

failing that, saw both ends off, punch out centre, sand up.

if you can't take it out you are never going to get one in.

You probably have realised by now you will just have to get new sensors -once that is comfy in your mind just go to town.

Clean out the sensor opening really well  & grease up the new sensors - stainless bolts for the sensors will help too if you ever need to go in there again.

You mentioned your beam rebuild a while ago, how are you planning to do it?? paint or powder coat, bushes?

10 hours ago, LR5V said:

You probably have realised by now you will just have to get new sensors -once that is comfy in your mind just go to town.

Clean out the sensor opening really well  & grease up the new sensors - stainless bolts for the sensors will help too if you ever need to go in there again.

You mentioned your beam rebuild a while ago, how are you planning to do it?? paint or powder coat, bushes?

Thank you for your help. Its all stripped down currently being powder coated, i have currently got, new hubs, brake likes, dust covers, stub mounting plate, bushes, brake discs, pads, all new bolts, clips. going the whole 9 yards.

brakes are in for sand blasting and powder coating, rebuild kit came in yesterday. So they will get rebuilt when i get them back.

Sounds good -pretty much what I am hoping to do with mine - mine is complicated by rear ARB also needing cleaning up & I dont like the yellow bushes white line use.

I suppose I was lucky the PO had replaced the rear calipers with genuine OEM Red ones. 

On calipers its the handbrake assembly that is the weak part as it gums up. bellows dust seals can be tricky to fit, done a few Golf ones, but Lupo ones are smaller so  even trickier.

On 8/13/2018 at 1:42 PM, Reedo said:

I am currently in the process of doing a rear axle rebuild parts are coming in thick and fast now. I am having trouble getting the ASB sensor out of the stub axle on the rear? any tips or guidance would be handy please.

Having just done this to mine -with the spacer plate split from the stub axle, and a socket over the sensor head, I had to use a press to remove the sensors.

They came out in one piece, but I wont re-use.