Vw Lupo 1.4 16v 75bhp performance gains

Lupo1.4 16v

Right just thought I'd add my experience with the vw 1.4 16v AHW engine and tuning I'd like to start by saying I am aware these engine aren't very strong and can't handle loads of power reliable. I will also say I don't claim to know much about these engines but this is just my experience. I found the driving experience can be improved with only a few mods but first off give the engine a good service new oil and filter. Check the crank case breather and replace or clean as needed new spark plugs, check ht leads and coil pack for corrosion replace if needed. Then you want to find your self the inlet manifold, throttle body and air box off a polo 6n 100bhp. The reason you need to change the air box is because the throttle body is bigger you could get an induction kit but the standard air box seems quite good with a k&n panel and removing restrictions in the box it's self. I also remove the hot air intake in summer and refit in winter. I did not bother with the injectors but you could fit the 100bhp injectors as well. I found the car reves loads faster after 3.5rpm and even at low reves it seems to have more torque. For me this has transformed the car for less than £150 I also have a decat witch helps a bit but does not make a massive difference. I drove a totally standard lupo last week with a 1.4 16v AHW and it felt dead compared to mine and that's why I wrote this thread. My car has not been mapped yet so am sure more power will be found. The car took about a week before it had learnt the throttle body. When I first fitted the parts it idled really high and generally drove like **** at which point I nearly removed it all but after a week it was perfect. The egr need to be removed and blanked to fit these parts. My car is getting a full stainless exhaust system with a 4-2-1 manifold in a month and I would think this will improve it also. Then a remap my be in order.

• Like 1

Hi sausage, I know some one with a remapped tdi and can appreciate what you are say much better fuel economy and faster in most scenarios. But the hole point of this is to say that unlike everyone seems to think the 1.4 16v can actually be very fun to drive when setup correctly and when driving country back roads and taking corners at very high reves they stick like glue and explode out of them when kept in the power band in that sort off driving the tdi just won't be as much fun. For people like my self that enjoy tinkering with there cars it's a fun engine to work with.

Edited by Lupo1.4 16v

If there was a cheap easy option for DIY remapping the 1.4s it would have good potential, so far i haven't seen it. The TDI has that, a £10 lead and free software can get you to about 120HP beyond which it starts to cost with hardware upgrades. But those are cheap and off the shelf parts to go further.

Point being you have to spend a lot on these engines to make power. Chap on here has bike TBs, expensive mapable ignition etc and will still need a rolling road session to make 130HP out of it so well over £1k. It is hardly cost effective. He could have gone forced induction and got 200, but would have to spend big on the weak 085 gearbox then as well.

I was hoping for some easy tunability when I got this 1.4 but it doesnt seem to be there. probably the cheapest option for me is mapable ignition and twin 40s as they can be set up yourself if you know what you are doing and i have some already. But that wont be happening, the engine will be sold, the gearbox when i have fixed 5th gear will be sold and something far more potent and tunable will be inserted in their place.

Edited by Sausage

On 8/9/2018 at 10:11 PM, Lupo1.4 16v said:

Hi sausage, I know some one with a remapped tdi and can appreciate what you are say much better fuel economy and faster in most scenarios. But the hole point of this is to say that unlike everyone seems to think the 1.4 16v can actually be very fun to drive when setup correctly and when driving country back roads and taking corners at very high reves they stick like glue and explode out of them when kept in the power band in that sort off driving the tdi just won't be as much fun. For people like my self that enjoy tinkering with there cars it's a fun engine to work with.

you will need to factor in the cost of uprating the brakes too, as the 100 bhp car has rear discs and bigger front discs

Cheers weslangdon,

totally forgot to mention brakes I have fitted lupo sport front brakes (256mm) that made a big difference. I have left drums rear as on a small car like the lupo I don't think rear discs do alot and drums are easyer to set camber on but if I had more power I'd get a gti rear beam.

18 hours ago, Lupo1.4 16v said:

Cheers weslangdon,

totally forgot to mention brakes I have fitted lupo sport front brakes (256mm) that made a big difference. I have left drums rear as on a small car like the lupo I don't think rear discs do alot and drums are easyer to set camber on but if I had more power I'd get a gti rear beam.

+1. Rear discs are over powerful for such a small car with little weight at the back. 

Haa Haa. Wouldnt be me would it 😂. But seriously, it has been a money pit and more than likely a complete waste of money.

I just keep repeating my mantra "This is worth it, This is worth it", but even if it is a complete load of **** i have to live with the desisions i have made a few years ago.

In hinesight i would have never started it,  instead putting the money into a moneybox and then buying a skyline R32......and then spent money ****ing that up too! 😂

To anyone thinking of entering down the rabbithole, enter with caution and with a very full wallet. If not you will have spent the kids inheritance and be left with a car that doesnt move. Your only option then it to sell it as a unfinished project to a chav with a sideways baseball cap for a complete loss. It is a lose-lose situation.

Know that you want to achieve, research, plan, research some more!. Set a budget and stick to it and you wont end up like me.

Haa Haa. Wouldnt be me would it 😂. But seriously, it has been a money pit and more than likely a complete waste of money.

I just keep repeating my mantra "This is worth it, This is worth it", but even if it is a complete load of **** i have to live with the desisions i have made a few years ago.

In hinesight i would have never started it,  instead putting the money into a moneybox and then buying a skyline R32......and then spent money ****ing that up too! 😂

To anyone thinking of entering down the rabbithole, enter with caution and with a very full wallet. If not you will have spent the kids inheritance and be left with a car that doesnt move. Your only option then it to sell it as a unfinished project to a chav with a sideways baseball cap for a complete loss. It is a lose-lose situation.

Know that you want to achieve, research, plan, research some more!. Set a budget and stick to it and you wont end up like me.

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello,

I have a 1.4 16v on R1 Bike carbs and want to put an inlet back on. I've heard about the 1.6 16v unit being a direct fit ? from which engine will i need to source the parts and what will i need ?? Engine code and list of parts would be ideal. THANKS 

Is this the same for the newer BBY engine? Just I’ve bought a 04 1.4 16v and would be nice to get a little more poke out of it, but no one has mentioned if it’s the same for a BBY just I’ve seen and inlet off a GTI and TB for just over £100 which I don’t thinks much tbh 👍🏽

• 5 months later...