085 5th gear whine

Got a nice quiet smooth 085 gearbox DXD code (off a 1.0  think) but it whines in 5th only.

Will check and change the oil on it and have the cover off to look soon but what is this likely to be? Have a spare 5th gear here available.

Well the oil was a bit low and very thick, so someone has been in there and done who knows what,  some gold shimmer from the synchro rings, but no nasty swarf, nothing obvious under the end cover, refilled with a more correct grade of oil as that was all i had and will test it out soon. I'm hoping probably in vain that it was just low on oil.

Having just been in the presence of greatness to rebuild my box, i can confidently say that the only thing that needs doing is the needle roller bearing needs to be changed (5th). Low oil is fine briefly, but if it whines, it means that the plastic needle roller bearing cage has melted. You can get to it via the metal side cover without stripping the entire box. About £4 :)

oh, and while in there, swap the circlip shim for a new thicker one to take up any slack from wear.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Knackered / melted 5th gear idler bearing next to the one salvaged from my spares box.

Dscn5094.jpg

Poxy torx bolt stripped on the spares box, so stillsons to remove it. same on the gearbox on the car FFS! (Edit: reason being I used a worn Torx bit in a pile of sockets I bought!) Have to drop gearbox an inch or so as well to get puller on it.

Dscn5096.jpg

knackered 5th gear means i have to change the gears as well, tips are spalled over and rough.

Dscn5098.jpg

5th from spare gearbox...

Dscn5099.jpg

Cobbled together this from 2 different pullers, probably wont fit on the one on the gearbox without further mods. (edit: it did fit, no further grinding needed to fit.)

Dscn5100.jpg

Had to call it a day from now.

Edited by Sausage

Wow, you're lucky. A bit more use and a needle could have dropped out and game over. Must have got really hot. Use the old synchro. It has visibly more life left in it. :)

Back together again....

Dscn5101.jpg

Not convinced the fork clip is correct, I swear it came off with the fork between the clip not on the outside of it, but i could not work out how to get it back on like that and the manual makes it seem easy without actually showing it. 🙄

Dscn5102.jpg

Need a fatter circlip 2.4mm instead of the 2.2mm on there.

Dscn5103.jpg

Edited by Sausage

21 hours ago, LR5V said:

Good work Sausage

That crud on the needle roller - that was it eating itself wasn't it?

Yes, here it is after washing it:

Dscn5104.jpg

Just waiting for the fatter clips to turn up and will redo the fork clip then as I know it isnt right.

Edited by Sausage

• 2 weeks later...

How thin was the original clip? And how many miles had the box done? Just curious to know how much wear there was over time.

Apparently that clip should be just very slightly loose when replacing it.

And make sure that fifth is easy to engage before sealing up. You need to adjust the fork so it's just loose.

stick an electric drill on the input shaft once you've chucked some oil in there. Should be silent. If still noisy, could be that another bearing has gone or is going. Now's the time to refurb it if you're concerned. Parts are about £120 plus labour.

Edited by mk2

Original clip = 2.2mm, manual said clip should just fit, measured slack with feeler blades and came to 2.45mm, so ordered 2.4mm and 2.5mm clips. 2.5mm fitted in the slot so used that.

I dont know mileage on the box as it is not original to car.

5th adjusted no probs, box is in the car so can only drive it on stands or take it for a spin which i will do probably on the weekend.

I couldnt get the idler bearing metal inner bush off the shaft on the spares gearbox to match the 5th idler bearing i used without damaging it, so didnt bother, just checked the one in this box for obvious marking and used that. I will overfill by 500ml as well I think.