Sign in to follow this  
Sausage

085 5th gear whine

Got a nice quiet smooth 085 gearbox DXD code (off a 1.0  think) but it whines in 5th only.

Will check and change the oil on it and have the cover off to look soon but what is this likely to be? Have a spare 5th gear here available.

Well the oil was a bit low and very thick, so someone has been in there and done who knows what,  some gold shimmer from the synchro rings, but no nasty swarf, nothing obvious under the end cover, refilled with a more correct grade of oil as that was all i had and will test it out soon. I'm hoping probably in vain that it was just low on oil.

Having just been in the presence of greatness to rebuild my box, i can confidently say that the only thing that needs doing is the needle roller bearing needs to be changed (5th). Low oil is fine briefly, but if it whines, it means that the plastic needle roller bearing cage has melted. You can get to it via the metal side cover without stripping the entire box. About £4 :)

oh, and while in there, swap the circlip shim for a new thicker one to take up any slack from wear.

Well that sounds promising. I have a knackered 1.0 box in half so can pull 5th off there and see what the score is with the bearing in there before doing the working box.