Wow rear wishbone bushes

dirk1978

ten minutes to get one out and a lemforder egg shaped euro special one in.

bash rubber out, mount a saw inside and cut two decent segments of the bush out, chip it out with a screwdriver.

clean surrounding area, sand down inside of the hole.

apply copper grease inside, pay attention to which way the bush goes in, arrow to the raised dot on the wishbone. (irrelevant when using poly but important when fitting lemforder euro ones, wrong way and they twist themselves apart) Tap the bush in bit by bit till it grips, then using a dolly move from left to right swinging down until you have driven the bush far enough into the wishbone.

Jigsaw with metal blade is your friend for this job. Oh, and a big press... :)

And what Rich said. Good info there.

actually come to think of it, one of my SDIs has bushes that could do with replacing. I need to do something useful to the car... nothing else wrong at the mo. I'll order some standard bushes and do a 'how-to'.

Edited by mk2

Great help guys thanks. Helped me get the next one off a lot easier.

Has anyone got any idea where I can get a 19mm track end nut? I had to hacksaw one off when the spindle kept turning. I've got loads but not the correct pitch which is quite fine on this one.

Left is a good one, right is one that doesn't fit.

20180805_130819.thumb.jpg.3c2da8bbd2b9d56a42dd9b31943b65e2.jpg

Lemforder are an OEM supplier to VW, sometimes their stuff comes with VAG part numbers on them, sometimes it has been ground off.

Starline...i have never heard of before, suspect it is another ECP **** brand.

I dont know if the track rod ends are specific or same as normal Lupo ones, or is it the rod? - all I know is I bought complete track rods and some of it I will have to replace for my rebuild.

ECP are OK at refunds -I would take care of the packageing you get the ends in and very carefully compare existing

You can live without the metal plate.

lemforder give you some fittings.

if it is spinning then use a large bar to press it in whilst someone tightens it.

that is not a cause for replacement, it's just a plastic ball on the end of it.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

lemforder give you some fittings.

if it is spinning then use a large bar to press it in whilst someone tightens it.

that is not a cause for replacement, it's just a plastic ball on the end of it.

I've tried loads of things to put pressure on it from above but the nyloc nut is just too stiff.

You do it cos you luv it.... :)

Doing a few extra hours overtime at work, at a nice clean airconditioned desk could mean you earn a few extra quid to let a mechanic do it for you. That don't work for me either...! With me, it's a confidence thing. I've never found a mechanic that has faultless workmanship. If Rich were nearby, I'd let him work on my cars, but I can't say that about many other 'car people' I know. Maybe only a handful. Probably the techy people on this forum! That's sad I know.............

The camber looks much better.

Not sure if this is already accepted as fact but the 3 bolts on the wishbone to balljoint are definitely camber adjustment. There's way too much movement for it not to be. I shoved mine all the way back when locking up.

20180806_091931.jpg