Hello Everyone

SPECSMAN

I have been recommended to your forum by a fellow member on the TT forum.

I do not own a Lupo, but one of my sons has a Lupo 1.4 and another has an Arosa 1.4 100bhp.

It is the Arosa that has prompted me to register, it died about twelve months ago, and I would welcome everyones' suggestions on it.

The secondary timing belt snapped, causing damage to the exhaust valves.    The car is scrap really, I know but the car has some good points and my son  especially, would like to save it.

Its good points include, gearbox reconditioned, with new clutch; solid window  tints (not just stick on tints) and the fake Lenso BBS style wheels; it is propelry lowered on adjustable coil-overs.  The shell is rust free and undamaged.

Engine transplant?  Just do the head?  Fit a 1.8T?!   Scrap it?

Thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to offer advice, what would you do in this situation?

Regards,

Specsman👀

strip the head down and inspect, price up the repair and make your decisions then seems like a plan. It may well be knackered and not worth bothering or the price of repair might be near that of a replacement engine.

Thank you for the replies so far;  it's good that no one has said break it up I suppose.

At 55 years old, my old back says that days of tackling serious mechanical jobs are few and far between; my son thinks a screwdriver is a cocktail.  That's why it has stood for so long.

I guess that I will summon the will to get the head off and assess the damage.

A kind offer for the valves Rich, no wonder that you have been member of the year so many times!

Specsman  👓

i need two new arms for some quick silver sunglasses circa 2003...

ship it up and I will drive it back although at 55 you aren't past it, you can take your time.

21 hours ago, Rich said:

i need two new arms for some quick silver sunglasses circa 2003...

ship it up and I will drive it back although at 55 you aren't past it, you can take your time.

Took a while for the penny to drop.....

Driving:  Free Mk4

I bet you are an Auspicious Character!  😉

Yes, I could probably manage to do the job, I'm more lazy than unable, if I'm being honest.  The car isn't worth dragging up to Durham, but I really do appreciate the offer.

Re; the temple sides for your sun specs (not arms, I blame Yankee Vision Express and their stupid terminology) ;  post a pic and I will advise.   My speciality is prescription specs and sun specs but I may be able to help and would be pleased to do so.

Specsman 👓

heatshrink and the stainless guides from wiper blades seem to be doing an okay job on the diy front.

will pic later.

I'd begin by whipping the air box, inlet manifold and exhaust off leaving a bare head.

then take it from there.

Another VAG problem has appeared and overtaken the Arosa problem, as the car in question is my sons daily driver.

It is a Lupo 1.4   75BHP.

I am very much, "If it aint broke, don't fix it"  but sunshine couldn't resist fitting a boy racer air filter; now the bloody thing turns over, but wont even fire.

I have checked all connections etc. all seems to be in order;   he even tried refitting the old box but it should run without it, I would suspect?

Any ideas?   He has no option but to get an expert on it, but I thought if anyone had ever had this problem before,  they would save us a lot of hassle.

Thanks in advance.

👓

Should have mentioned that...despite cranking for a while...there is no fuel vapour smell.

It hasn't  fired once....lordy knows what he has done....injector  loom or something??...can't  be a coincidence can it ?

Well.................

Number three son informs me that he has got it running; it was a super brief  'phone conversation about a possible airlock in the fuel (?)

He is going to show me what he did next time we meet and I will report what it was, when I  understand it.

Thanks Rich and  Mk2

👓

Okay, so sunbeam has popped over and explained what he did; I'm still at a loss as to what it did or how it cured it, perhaps someone could enlighten us?!

There is a black plastic wotsit, looks a bit like a fuel filter, with two fuel pipe style reinforced pipes on the top; located below and behind the offside headlight.

My sons mate, a mechanic at a local garage, suggested that he removed and replaced the pipe running from this to the throttle body, it released no fuel.   Then the car started.

It has baffled the hell out of me, how fitting an air filter could do this!

Now, that effing Arosa..........

👓

Edited by SPECSMAN
Missing information