Gti Rear Spoiler Paint Crazing

It's bad on mine - see pics attached.

I've read the various previous threads on this subject and gather it's down to absorbed water disrupting the paint film surface on its way out to evaporation.  My local (high quality) bodyshop advised that a repaint would not be a lasting solution and suggested I look into having the spoiler wrapped.  But then I'm told that since the film used is only 0.11mm thick, it would not provide a 'mask' of the current surface irregularities.

Any opinions/experience please on the practicality and long term effectiveness of painting?  I am wondering if this current dry/hot spell might provide a good opportunity to have a go on the basis that as of today the panel is possibly as 'dried out' as it ever will be.

DSC_0001_00001.jpg

DSC_0002_00002.jpg

As long as they sand and prepare it properly I don't see why it couldn't be repainted.

If you have condensation / some LED's not working on the third brake light, make sure you get a new one fitted while you're at it :)

3 hours ago, Silver! said:

Wow, seen bubbling and the odd popped blister, but never that.

Has it been re-sprayed at previously?

I've not had the car long - it was imported to the UK from Japan late last year.  My assumption is that the spoiler was re-painted at some point whilst the car was still in Japan.  I suspect that the usual problems with water absorption into the spoiler have been made worse in this instance by a poor re-paint with insufficient preparation and, probably, the application of far too much new paint, making for an overly thick paint layer.  I think my best bet would be to remove it now - whilst it should be well dried out as a result of our long dry weather spell - and get as much old paint stripped off as possible before applying new.

One concern I have is about getting it off - I wonder if these tend to sustain damage in the process?

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:28 PM, davy26 said:

I've not had the car long - it was imported to the UK from Japan late last year.  My assumption is that the spoiler was re-painted at some point whilst the car was still in Japan.  I suspect that the usual problems with water absorption into the spoiler have been made worse in this instance by a poor re-paint with insufficient preparation and, probably, the application of far too much new paint, making for an overly thick paint layer.  I think my best bet would be to remove it now - whilst it should be well dried out as a result of our long dry weather spell - and get as much old paint stripped off as possible before applying new.

One concern I have is about getting it off - I wonder if these tend to sustain damage in the process?

Originally they were bolted not bonded, so unless someone has bonded it when it was sprayed, it should come off simple enough.

Funnily enough though; IIRC @bossjohnchad issues with his spoiler under warranty and returned it a few times for fixing. The final time it was sprayed, they fitted it using a bonding kit.

He never had the problem again.

I removed the spoiler from my GTI about 2 months ago as it had the usual issue of bubbling. I would say that it had never been repainted before although looking thorough the paperwork with the car it was removed about 5 years ago to have a replacement high level brake light by a VW dealership. Simple enough to unbolt as long as it hasn't been bonded as said. I had the spoiler resprayed by my local VW bodyshop and so far so good. When I removed the spoiler it had a line of spongy type tape right around the lip which I guess helps with sealing it from water ingress. I got something similar off ebay and applied it to the freshly painted spoiler before I bolted it back on. 

Thanks to Blue Loop, Silver and Grumpy for your comments/advice.  I was aware that the spoiler is attached with fasteners and maybe I'm too pessimistic about possible damage during remove/refit.

I wonder Grumpy if the tape you mention is the type we used to use around household door/window apertures?

Just had a look at a spare piece of the tape I used and its not spongy at all! Its non absorbent and of a type of rubber compound and is sticky on one side only. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grumpy said:

Just had a look at a spare piece of the tape I used and its not spongy at all! Its non absorbent and of a type of rubber compound and is sticky on one side only. Hope that helps.

Thanks Grumps - very helpful and I suspect this is one of those things where close attention to detail will pay off.

If there is a gap between the hatch and the spoiler you could try sawing through the bonding to remove the spoiler.

When they take out windscreens they used a braided line - they used to use metal cheese wire, until they worked out it cause rust where it stripped the paint.

Closest I have seen is fly fishing backing.