Gearbox removal

henry.0112

Noticed that my gearbox has been slowly dripping since I bought my lupo. As I’m wanting it to be as flawless as possible for when I start to drive I want to replace whatever seal it is that’s causing the leak so looks like I have to pull the box. Wondered if anyone had any tips as I’ve never done anything as involved before. Car is a 1.0 AUC if that helps. Cheers

if its a slow drip, then it'd be easier to just top up once a year... just wipe it well before the mot.

The leak comes from the shaft seal that selects the gear. it's a cheap seal, but replacing it needs some clever improvisiing to pull it out from outside the box. usually you push it out from inside.

Hi guys im very new to this but i was wondering about this selector shaft seal :) so i watched a video and the lad who changed his made it look so easy, he just got a flat head and pulled it out then slid his new one on?? So is it not as easy or what cause im gonna try it on friday so wanna know for sure if i can do it or not?? Then im going to change the gear box oil so she is fresh ✌??

12 hours ago, henry.0112 said:

Ahh cheers pal that saves me a lot of headache, it looks like it is coming from there so will probably just keep topping it up??

yeah, and you can top up the level through the speedo sensor, so you dont even need to remove the undertray :)

I have not closely looked at one of those particular seals, but in the past for oil seals in general which need to be pulled out I have heard people say drill a small hole in the seal near the outer edge, screw a wood screw in a bit and then pull with pliers. for stubborn ones do a second screw half round from the first