Progress?

davy26

I've had two Ups - a Move and, currently, a High, (both 3 door).  The High has a visually pleasant interior and things like the steering wheel appear to be of real quality.  The clever little 3 cyl engine responds nicely and fuel economy is excellent - my current use is nearly all short runs but I still average 54 mpg.

But, compared with my 'new' Lupo Gti, the Up lacks character, and, surprisingly trails the Lupo on the following features:

Seats - the Lupo versions are considerably more supportive. Interestingly, the same Up seat is used in the new Gti version.

Seat tipping - in the Lupo, after tipping the seat returns to its 'start' position - not the case in the Up.

'Cubby' spaces - varied and well sited in the Lupo - quite lacking in the Up, (though it has a proper glove box).

ICE - no CD player in the Up - outdated technology I know, but old boys like me have got a hell of a lot on those funny little discs.

I was intending to buy an Up Gti, but my Lupo is better than that with:

Nicer engine - 4 cylinders and normally aspirated - sounds, performs and responds better than a blown small 3 cylinder.

On 15" wheels - look better than the Up's 17" and rides better on the less low-profile tyres.

Light weight panels which add allure.

Deprecation probably bottomed out.

They are both good cars, and the Up does have some neat advantages like the double depth boot floor, but it's interesting - and reassuring - that product development is not necessarily a case of everything getting gradually better.

DSCN1968_00003.thumb.jpg.bce5ff8406f80f406e3c5608aff170f4.jpg

As I also own a Lupo GTI and an Up, though mines a Mk1 version, I love both cars but for different reasons. The Lupo has the 'grin' factor, its nippy, handles pretty well, rarity factor and its a car I never want to sell. The Up is more practical on a daily basis, better on fuel, cheaper to tax, better equipped, mine has a cd-player and sat nav, it even handles pretty well too, though mine has the factory 'sports' suspension. I am going to hand the Up to my son for his 1st car soon, something I always planned to do anyway, but its ideal for him and safe too. If you park them side-by-side the dimensions are almost identical!

2012_volkswagen_up_81_1920x1080.jpg

So it looks as though we're pretty much agreed Martin, and I don't think anyone could deny the practicality and economy of the Up!

Now, how silly is this? . . . my main disappointment with the Up! model line is a version I've never even driven: the Gti. I have been deterred by the lack of demos locally, the 'not bothered' stance of local Retailers and the protracted current order lead time. But, underlying those aspects, I feel that Volkswagen have been too conservative in speccing the car, perhaps dictated by a desire to launch at a price level well below that which might have been expected. This is my shame-list:

No driver control over the ESC (Lupo superior)

No funky colours, (e.g. Porsche colours like Racing Yellow, Lava Orange or Light Green)

Only one wheel option, and that is big for some tastes at 17" - also results in (for me) too-low profile tyres

Un-upgraded seat with lack of lateral support (Lupo superior)

No lightweight 'special' version, with, say, another 15 bhp (Lupo has the ally doors, bonnet and arches)

A more imaginative specification Up! Gti would not just lord it over the Abarth 595s, but fully annihilate them!

Edited by davy26
typo (ECS)

I did consider an Up GTi before I bought my Lupo, but similarly the long wait after ordering, and the lack of demonstrators was enough to make me revert to my original plan, and currently I'm not regretting it at all.

The mrs has a Seat Mii FR (company car from work - Seat main dealer) which I've driven many times, and they're decent enough little cars, just need that extra bit of power that the GTi would have. What will be interesting is whether there is much room for tuning on the Up GTi models, and whether long term it has any issues with running more power without internal upgrades. I like the look of them still, dislike the seats as they are simply regular Up seats with a different pattern where as they should have fitted something more supportive, or even more exclusive like they did on the mk4 R32. They are however great on fuel and cheap to insure (and tax obviously) from all the reviews I've read and watched online.

They are already debating performance upgrades over on the Up! Forum, e.g. http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/dtuk_topic9658.html  Also: http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/150bhp-possible_topic9297.html and http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/anyone-remapped-our-gti-yet_topic9620.html

I've seen various opinions, links and videos and a post indicating that at least one tuner didn't feel comfortable (handling concerns) with the car having an extra-several bhp. And there's at least one car already lowered.  There's an amusing owner's vid extolling the virtues of the Milltek sports exhaust he's already had fitted, but I don't think it did the job intended as the car didn't sound much different to my (admittedly ancient) ear. But, whatever the merits of the individual views/projects, it's good to see that a model in the generally prim Up! range has provoked so much enthusiasm and interest in further enhancing its performance.