Oil light question

isetta

2004 Lupo 1litre base model.

When turning ignition on (without starting engine)  , an oil light comes on (amongst other lights) as expected. But after a couple of seconds it goes off. Normal behaviour on others cars is that the oil light stays on until engine started and oil pressure up to correct pressure.

So, is there something strange about how the oil light works on a Lupo (1 litre)?  if it goes off before there is any oil pressure then is it ever going to do the job of warning that there is low oil pressure?

I know in theory that if I keep the oil level correct there should never be a pressure problem. Having had two cars in the past that suffered oil pressure suddenly going (Ford Granada 3 litre -the hexagonal oil pump drive shaft wore out so it became round and stopped turning the oil pump , Triumph TR7- the spring broke in the pressure relief valve) I would like some assurance of having such an important warning light functioning properly.

Comments please

anyone remember the ancient but amusing system in the late 80's polo bread van. fixed a few of them in the last couple of years. just after the engine starts, the oil pressure hasn't reached the min pressure for the pressure switch, but the engine was running (alternator light was off with ignition on combination). so while the oil pressure is building the buzzer is going off! beeeeeeeep. every time you start. beeeeeep.