So this happened.....

Sausage

Blind ebay purchase, £200 delivered to my door. 1999 1.4S with 100k. Given the shockingly bad pics in the ad it could have gone a lot worse.

Not sure what i am doing with it just yet, tempted to fiddle with the 1.4 engine, but tdi or 1.8T are deffo options as i have never done an engine conversion before and have that itch to scratch. I could end up just driving it as is for a bit so i can get my black tdi in better shape.

AHW engine, not much to be done with these given the alloy block I understand? A turbo comes to mind. Might have been breathed on with Sport bits, (told GTI but they dont look like GTI head and TB to me, so I assume they meant Sport). expect  a flurry of noob questions from me over the coming days. I have been reading up honest....

Suggestions welcome for what to do with it.

loop2.jpg

Dscn5034.jpg

• Like 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Polo-1-6-GTI-16V-6n2-125BHP-complete-engine-and-gearbox-for-spares/253694136562

Was looking at that one earlier... oil loss usually means what on those, rings, bores?

I would like to get away from poxy 085 gearboxes tbh though.

there's an ARL PD engine near me but he's very slow at responding....

If you know anything about me by now it is that I do things cheap, cheap cheap, much cheapness. I probably should change my ways but it is heavily ingrained.

easiest/cheapest way to do an engine conversion is to buy a totalled car (polo/golf/skoda). get what you want and box all the bits up. sell the scrap and sell the bits. break even. and have new running engine/box in Lupo. :) only drawback is time. lots of time.

I probably have everything you would need to do the conversion which i will pallet up for three hundred big ones plus you arrange collection.

@Rich thanks, will have a long think about what to do, gti swap is probably the easiest of all and barely ticks the "engine conversion" box in my mind, plus as said i'd like to have a stronger gearbox on it.

11 hours ago, lupo1.0se said:

Sausage. What's the other lupo back of shot? 

That is my black TDI, looks like a shed, goes like stink and i love it to bits, awaiting a long needed make over and stage 2 mods, so ideally needs to come off the road for a bit for that.

@mk2 yep totally agree, will be doing that if something suitable turns up.

Not much can be done with the brakes on these is there without swapping everything over to TDI, sport, GTI stuff?

20 hours ago, Sausage said:

@Rich thanks, will have a long think about what to do, gti swap is probably the easiest of all and barely ticks the "engine conversion" box in my mind, plus as said i'd like to have a stronger gearbox on it.

That is my black TDI, looks like a shed, goes like stink and i love it to bits, awaiting a long needed make over and stage 2 mods, so ideally needs to come off the road for a bit for that.

@mk2 yep totally agree, will be doing that if something suitable turns up.

Not much can be done with the brakes on these is there without swapping everything over to TDI, sport, GTI stuff?

Do you have a pic of it?

you should just buy the gti **** from me and give me more space.

did I mention it had a clutch and Tb done in the past year and I had the sump off it about four months ago?

can even supply a de immob ecu.

4 hours ago, Rich said:

you should just buy the gti **** from me and give me more space.

did I mention it had a clutch and Tb done in the past year and I had the sump off it about four months ago?

can even supply a de immob ecu.

Bypass circuit or something you've coded?

Thanks rich but i shall pass. After some gti, tdi, sport hubs and brakes etc though for it.

What reads the marelli ecu in these? MPPS v13 clone i have knows what it is via ecu info but doesnt list the right model and i dont want to just try and dump it on something that look close and lock the ecu up if it goes wrong. So i abandoned that for now.

Are there any other hub, upright combos that can be used to get bigger brakes beyond 280mm?

you need the hubs, to which i have some....

you can fit the 288 ate late vr6 mk3 calipers if you use some Vauxhall 288 4x100 discs.

Ibiza Cupra R  brembo set up with 315 discs, must be the best OEM brake set up for 4x100

But Genuine Cupra R calipers are hard to find and expensive, discs are also pricey too.

however Fiat, Alfa or Peugeot brembos calipers are the same piston sizes but need adaptors to work...and after that its having the wheels to go over them.

I have a set of these off a Fiat Coupe in the garage:

ytLKFB.jpg

When I get some time I am looking to fit them to 280 discs under 15" superligeraas

Not many cheap ones here....

Looks like the chap has reneged on verbal agreement and sold it elsewhere,  not surprising as it was such a bargain, so i am back to square one. No rush, I'll give the lupo a proper look over and if it is up to it MOT it and drive it for a bit and get on with the TDIs. Decisions can be made then but one of them has to go, the sensible choice would be to break my black one as it is tatty but i bought it with the intention of keeping it very long term, so common sense may have to win out there.

I really need to shift some tat before buying more in as well....