Lupo 1 litre

weslangdon

My daughters 1 litre has just failed its MOT on emissions, she's had it a year but its only ever been used for short journeys, to and from work, 5 miles morning and evening, the testers said the readings were erratic, nearly there but then wandering off. I plan an engine service, air filters, oil change and that old standby a large dose of cat cleaner. The car is too good to be written off  interior and body [black] are both very good, mileage is quite high for a 2002 car at 129k but it has been looked after, is anything else I should be looking at? As the value of the car is low I don't want to spend much on getting it fixed.

I would Use Wynn’s Engine Flush is a highly detergent concentrate, designed to clean all oil lubricating systems prior to oil change.

• Cleans engines, hydraulic systems, gearboxes and differentials internally.
  • Quickly and efficiently dissolves varnish, sludge and other contaminants from vital engine parts.
  • Prevents contamination of fresh oil by residues left behind.
  • Neutralizes acids.
  • Frees sticking internal engine components by dissolving deposits.
  • Provides extra protection during the treatment.
  • Quietens noisy hydraulic valve lifters by removing deposits.
  • Is compatible with all mineral, synthetic, single and multigrade oils and suitable for regular and low SAPS applications.

1 hour ago, Sausage said:

Italian tune up if it's been used for short journeys.

This. Take it for the thrashing it clearly needs.

5 hours ago, weslangdon said:

My daughters 1 litre has just failed its MOT on emissions.

which one? hydrocarbons, CO, smoke...? if it's the valve seals, flushing could make it worse. if rings, better! a good steady run as suggested may help. could just try changing the air filter.

On 7/2/2018 at 6:34 PM, Rich said:

I wouldn't use a flush, I would take the sump off, clean it and check/clean the strainer.

Agree with what Rich says, stay clear of a flush... It never all comes out, and will degrade the oil that you then put into the engine. As long as the oil comes out smoothly and isn't all gunky you won't need a flush, just get it warm so it flows out quicker. 

Do you have a copy of the emissions failure you can post up, as that may indicate what the issue is (lambda sensor is common).

Edited by oVerboost

On 7/6/2018 at 5:42 PM, oVerboost said:

Agree with what Rich says, stay clear of a flush... It never all comes out, and will degrade the oil that you then put into the engine. As long as the oil comes out smoothly and isn't all gunky you won't need a flush, just get it warm so it flows out quicker. 

Do you have a copy of the emissions failure you can post up, as that may indicate what the issue is (lambda sensor is common).

I'm not sure whether I entirely agree with that, but I do agree that there's probably no need for a flush.

On 7/9/2018 at 12:26 PM, Skezza said:

I'm not sure whether I entirely agree with that, but I do agree that there's probably no need for a flush.

Perhaps I should have worded it different, there is a chance that not all the flush will come out, and can potentially cause issues if enough of it stays in the engine. 

I've worked in the motor trade my whole life, and seen a few issues. Whether or not it does any harm to the engine is up to chance, but there is a risk, it's more a problem with new engines when you try to claim warranty and they test the oil, only to find that there is flush in there and they won't then pay out. But on that basis, I've never risked it personally, and as long as the engine is healthy there is no need. If you need to use a flush because your oil is gunky and crappy - a flush is unlikely to save your engine from the potential problems awaiting it when the oil ways are blocked solid, and no flush is going to remove that if it's been there a while.

Edited by oVerboost