Gerti - My 'New' Gti

davy26

Increasing pleased with Gerti - still less than a week in.  Only thing I don't like design/spec-wise is the steering wheel.  I'm intending to address that by fitting a Momo Millenium.  Body/paint is generally good, but rear spoiler has crazed.  The car has all the sort of 'character' which I've been missing in my (albeit very civilised) High Up!

smlDSCN1928_00012.thumb.jpg.b3b5f7fd26c70c028c7f607823fe377c.jpg

28 minutes ago, Blue Loop said:

Nice car!

I do like the original steering wheel.

The standard wheel looks fine and suits the overall style of the Lupo interior.  Perhaps I'm spoiled by my High Up! - one of the things I most like about it is the quality of the interior and the wheel is especially pleasant - good leather, size OK with the flat bottom/quite chunky grip and visually good with nice stitching.   So I'd have liked the Lupo wheel to have a much thicker grip and a smaller diameter, (I'm tall and find there's not much clearance between the bottom of the wheel and my legs.)  The 'feel' of the covering is also rather uninspiring; (you can tell I've got time on my hands!).  While we're driving we are (or certainly should be!) in contact with the wheel 100% of the time, so I think it's worth seeking to get it absolutely right to our own taste - so I'm allowing myself to be indulgent with a Momo.

Nice, I used to have a black one! So nice when they're clean...unfortunately doesn't last too long!
Have to agree on disliking the original Steering wheel. Tempted to get a Lupo 3L one for mine!

Having both a High Up! and a Lupo Gti myself, I do like the Up's steering wheel better than the Lupo, but not so much I hate the Lupo one. I too am tempted by a 3L wheel with a bit of paint here and there to personalise it a bit. Straight fit too, so saves messing about with wiring and shaving bits off here and there. Ideal world, I'd fit a Mk6 GTI steering wheel, but can't be bothered/don't know how to mod it to fit properly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mk2 said:

i'll buy your steering wheel :)

Thanks for your interest.  I'll possibly be retaining the original so that I can put the car back to standard in the future.  However, if I do decide to sell, I'll let you know. 

Regards.

David

3 hours ago, lupogtiboy said:

Having both a High Up! and a Lupo Gti myself, I do like the Up's steering wheel better than the Lupo, but not so much I hate the Lupo one. I too am tempted by a 3L wheel with a bit of paint here and there to personalise it a bit. Straight fit too, so saves messing about with wiring and shaving bits off here and there. Ideal world, I'd fit a Mk6 GTI steering wheel, but can't be bothered/don't know how to mod it to fit properly.

Yes, the Lupo Gti wheel is fine in its own right, just that something like the High Up! type or a Momo are that bit better, both ergonomically and aesthetically.

As I learn more about Lupos I especially liked your post in that it alerted me to the 3L, which had previously escaped my notice.  The car itself an interesting concept and I see why you'd like that wheel - it's pretty distinctive.

Regards.

David

Steering wheel: I've had second thoughts on a Momo - the original wheel is right style-wise for the Gti, but I'd like it beefed up and with really smooth leather, so I'm planning now to have a retrim by Royal Steering Wheels, (wonder whether the workshop is at Buckingham Palace, or, with lower overheads, up at Sandringham?)  So I need a temporary replacement whilst mine's away for the work.  My car is MY 2005 - does anyone know please if one from a 2001 model would be a straight fit?

Thanks Rich and Blue Loop - I tend to be over cautious as I spent most of the first 20 years of my career dealing with customer complaints and technical problems for BMW, Alfa Romeo and Chrysler. . . and believe me, doing that you soon learn that if something can go wrong, it definitely does, so I like to check and then double check . . .

Yes, I plan to keep my original as is - the car has done only 60,000 and the wheel is in really nice condition.

1099633232_smlDSCN1971_00006.thumb.jpg.7824b561f4ffed0d7f438d4081760a9b.jpg

On 6/19/2018 at 9:31 PM, Skajme said:

Nice, I used to have a black one! So nice when they're clean...unfortunately doesn't last too long!
Have to agree on disliking the original Steering wheel. Tempted to get a Lupo 3L one for mine!

Black isn't good in this weather, silver is best to reflect the sunlight