Japanese Service History

davy26

Just wondering if someone here might be able to help me please.  I have just bought an ex-Japan Gti, registered in 2006 and now 60,000 miles, and I'm not sure what to do about the cambelt - (I'm well aware of all the various arguments and opinions on this topic, especially as I was doing work for Volkswagen Group, 2003-09).  My car has got quite a lot of service history documentation, but, naturally, it's all in Japanese.  In particular I've 4 service invoices and I'm hoping there might be a member here who speaks Japanese and who might kindly have a look at them and tell me if there's any mention of a cambelt change having been carried out?

Any direct help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

David.

Having had no responses on this - it was a long shot - I have been delving into things with the help of Google and suchlike.  As a result I have been able to identify the cambelt field on the standard Volkswagen service sheets used in Japan.  So, just in case anyone else has the same query on a car into UK from Japan, I'm attaching a scan of the area of the sheet in which to look for an entry.

CambeltField.jpg

Shouldn’t the chassis number have worldwide service info on it? So you can go into any dealer with the vin and see what comes up? I know you could with bmw. And merc do it too.

VW UK won't have any info on an imported car, the service history isn't a worldwide thing. VW don't even recognise or keep info on cars registered before 2001 on the service history database anymore!

On 6/15/2018 at 4:29 PM, davy26 said:

Just wondering if someone here might be able to help me please.  I have just bought an ex-Japan Gti, registered in 2006 and now 60,000 miles, and I'm not sure what to do about the cambelt - (I'm well aware of all the various arguments and opinions on this topic, especially as I was doing work for Volkswagen Group, 2003-09).  My car has got quite a lot of service history documentation, but, naturally, it's all in Japanese.  In particular I've 4 service invoices and I'm hoping there might be a member here who speaks Japanese and who might kindly have a look at them and tell me if there's any mention of a cambelt change having been carried out?

Any direct help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

David.

Change it.

1 hour ago, lupogtiboy said:

VW UK won't have any info on an imported car, the service history isn't a worldwide thing. VW don't even recognise or keep info on cars registered before 2001 on the service history database anymore!

That’s flippin ridiculous!

45 minutes ago, davy26 said:

Thanks, and yes, I came to that view and booked it in yesterday.

No other option. Playing cambelt roulette is fine on a ratty old 1.0 or SDI or an old banger, but not on a GTI.

Anyway, GTI's are going up in value right now. It'll pay for itself ;) 

The other option is to contact the supplying dealer in the UK who imported the car, more often than not they do a cambelt and water pump before sale (to cover them more than anything), they should have a record of this. I know my Japanese Import GTi had a cambelt and water pump kit fitted before it was sold, and that particular dealer does it on all of their imported cars.