Red Tube

davy26

My ex-Japan 2005 Gti has just arrived - lots to be checked out, but it looks so agreeably cheeky and pert alongside my High Up!

Could someone kindly tell me what is the function of the little red tube under the dash on the left hand side (only on Japan cars?)

Thanks.

David

38 minutes ago, Pete said:

Seems kinda obvious what it is to me!

Thanks - you've made me feel foolish.  Maybe I am, but I really can't interpret those last two 'pictures.'  However, I won't bother you again - sorry.

6 hours ago, davy26 said:

Thanks - you've made me feel foolish.  Maybe I am, but I really can't interpret those last two 'pictures.'  However, I won't bother you again - sorry.

Come on now, don’t be like that, I was just expecting it to be a mystery cable or loom or something, not something with a diagram stamped on the side of it.

Edited by Pete
Spelling

my first thoughts were that it was some odd breathaliser thing that you had to blow into before the car decided that you were able to drive it. in singapore, they have audible warning 'chimes' that make different sounds depending in how fast yiu're driving. just in case you cant see the speedo.....

10 hours ago, Tourist said:

It’s an emergency flare instead of a warning triangle ?

Just out of curiosity, is the tube empty?

:)

Martin.

Thanks Martin - that's helpful. It looks as though it has never been deployed and, by its weight, has contents, but is date stamped for expiry in 2009.

1 hour ago, davy26 said:

Thanks Martin - that's helpful. It looks as though it has never been deployed and, by its weight, has contents, but is date stamped for expiry in 2009.

A nice surprise, are you tempted to see if it works? 

?

Martin.

Good idea Saus - and Volkswagen could have an opportunity marketing these as VW Accessories (especially with the Up! model line), with lots of ongoing revenue too with branded lubes!

5 hours ago, Tourist said:

A nice surprise, are you tempted to see if it works? 

?

Martin.

I'm doing some model rocketry with one of my sons and grandsons this weekend, so, with caution,  we'll also unleash the toob and see what happens - and you'll know the worst if you never see another post from me!

they dont really expire. and are very useful to keep just in case.

they just burn, but don't have any propelling ability, so no use in a rocket. however emptying out the contents of an airbag actuator can be interesting.

• 3 months later...
On 6/14/2018 at 3:07 PM, Pete said:

Seems kinda obvious what it is to me!

On 6/16/2018 at 11:29 PM, Rich said:

bah.

i thought this thread was going to be about something completely different....

Yes I’m on this level. Months later but I’m here!!! 

I also presumed this was going to be exactly what rich presumed and I must say I’m seriously disappointed. Come on man......