Steering rack

henry.0112

if it's just the ends that have gone, you can do that while it's still in place. bellows off, simply unscrew the track rod ball joint gripping the outside with a pair of molegrips (or the correct tool). i also recommend using a drop thread lock when tightening.

when gripping the rack to stop it turning and damaging the pinion, wrap a strip of copper or ali around it before gripping it, to stop any scratching.

very common vdub problem. water gets in rusting them out.

Edited by mk2

26 minutes ago, mk2 said:

if it's just the ends that have gone, you can do that while it's still in place. bellows off, simply unscrew the track rod ball joint gripping the outside with a pair of molegrips (or the correct tool). i also recommend using a drop thread lock when tightening.

when gripping the rack to stop it turning and damaging the pinion, wrap a strip of copper or ali around it before gripping it, to stop any scratching.

very common vdub problem. water gets in rusting them out.

Nah mate unfortunately a bolt that holds the rack to the subframe has snapped so I need to get access to the top of the rack to weld a bolt to what’s left of the old one to stand a chance of getting it out. Thanks anyway 

Just now, mk2 said:

how did that happen!?!?

I spontaneously decided that maybe restoring my subframe would be a good  idea so started off by seeing if all the bolts would loosen, turns out that one wouldn’t

they may seem captive but they're not.

undo the other one and hammer it out, unless it is on the drivers side.

alternatively if it is on the drivers side, just run with three bolts.

Just now, Rich said:

they may seem captive but they're not.

undo the other one and hammer it out, unless it is on the drivers side.

alternatively if it is on the drivers side, just run with three bolts.

Yeah it’s on he drivers side unfortunately, to be fair mate I wanted to refurb my sundframe anyway so might as well do it now or i’ll never get round to it

jet wash. allow to dry for a few days in dry weather. waxoyl (or equiv). good for another five years of daily driving :)

doesn't look good, but after a while the mud and dirt that builds up hides it all.

Just now, mk2 said:

jet wash. allow to dry for a few days in dry weather. waxoyl (or equiv). good for another five years of daily driving :)

doesn't look good, but after a while the mud and dirt that builds up hides it all.

Was thinking of jet washing it then wire brushing any surface rust then stone chipping it, waxoyl the inside of it and maybe the outside. Also thinking of putting a kind of skid plate or undertray on it too

I've recently done mine because I had to replace the rack.

if your steering rack bolt has snapped, try undoing the two near the struts which support the subframe.

bash the head excessively with a hammer whilst it is still tight, loosen and tighten and work the thread loose.

should one of these spin then just give up on the whole thing.