Lupo headlights

Michelle

Hi guys, bought a lupo and everything's fine except for the main beam and dip beam, side lights work but main beam won't.. I've changed fuses bought new headlights and bought a new switch but still no main beam any suggestions please would be great.. Thank you 

Edited by Michelle

can you operate the flash function? pull stalk towards you... that bit bypasses the main circuit. also, it is both that are not working? there may be a relay in the circuit- i can't remember...

which model lupo do you have?

Like Matt said, could well be the stalk. They do fail occasionally and it's an easy part to test. When you say you've replaced the switch, an eBay job or an OEM one? Was the one you replaced an eBay one or an OEM one? (You can tell fairly easily). 

Check for corrosion around the battery terminals as well.

I've swapped the switch from another lupo that worked fine just the side lights still work tho, I've found where the relays are il check them soon, the lights won't flash when I pull the stalk back, I'm so confused and clearly know nothing lol. 

Edited by Michelle

there's some 53 relays which are load reducing but they don't really fail.

I'd be inclined to look towards the 12v feed from the switch to the lights.

common melting point on older vw.

yeah, i'll second that. if both high and low are dead, it's probably the main feed. but the same is true if the bulb earth is dead. but you said the sidelights are ok (on the same earth wire i think), which should rule out an earth fault. does the little blue led light up in the dash when you flash?

just thought... if a tracker has ever been fitted, the usual spot is behind the light switch. some bodgers completely mess up the 12v feed and it falls off!

Edited by mk2

23 hours ago, mk2 said:

yeah, i'll second that. if both high and low are dead, it's probably the main feed. but the same is true if the bulb earth is dead. but you said the sidelights are ok (on the same earth wire i think), which should rule out an earth fault. does the little blue led light up in the dash when you flash?

just thought... if a tracker has ever been fitted, the usual spot is behind the light switch. some bodgers completely mess up the 12v feed and it falls off!

That ratty Mazda they fitted the black box behind the radio and made a pigs ear of it.

yeah, and if you offer to wire it properly, they say it's not a valid installation. hmm. i didn't go to school to learn how to do it properly for nothing!

17 hours ago, mk2 said:

yeah, and if you offer to wire it properly, they say it's not a valid installation. hmm. i didn't go to school to learn how to do it properly for nothing!

I just ripped it out. It was the previous owners insurance, not mine. I Just wasn't overly impressed how they went about it.