HELP! SDI power steering pipes burst.

lupo_crush

VW LUPO 1.7 SDI 2001

I am looking for some help getting my trusty steed back on the road.

Monday my power steering pipe split spraying fluid all over my drive. If Mondays are not bad enough already. 

I am struggling to find the part online or with a breakers. 

Dose anyone have any? Or knowlage on how to get it back on the road? Or is willing to help me? (Wiltshire area)

I don’t really want to give up on it just yet.

if you can get it out in one piece, take it to your nearest pirtek or hydraulic hose service place. they'll fix it for maybe a tenner and a six pack of cold ale.

50 minutes ago, Rich said:

yup.

1 hour ago, mk2 said:

if you can get it out in one piece, take it to your nearest pirtek or hydraulic hose service place. they'll fix it for maybe a tenner and a six pack of cold ale.

Thanks, have you both used pirtek before? Would they make a set of hoses for it? 

Is this the only option? 

Anyone in the Salisbury area that could help me out? 

• 2 weeks later...

Refurbished powesteering line. £60 from pirtek. Cracking job. Even put a joint in for me after the flexi hose part to make to easy to fit back in with no problems. 

Gave it a quick service at the same time new oil and filters. 35% off at Euro car parts helped out. 

2E4F3EC6-8C9D-4C31-A7A4-C30ADBEE3B24.jpeg

DEDD0878-C3B2-4504-A3EB-B9C7C7666489.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Bottoms, mine is leaking on the TDI and they's very very rusty on the 1.4S as well. Pirtek in Swansea, but contacting someone else who seems to do very cheap hydraulic stuff. Will update when i hear back from them.

I tried this on my Lupo TDI, whether it will work depends on where the replacement section is inserted, mine had split nearer to the connection and kept blowing off.  I was lucky to get an as new replacement from a breakers yard as they aren't in stock anymore

• 2 weeks later...

My pipe has a slow weep so not in immediate need of doing, but given that rusty and leaking steering hoses are now fails on MOT these will need doing. I've been looking for a cheap solution for the high pressure pipe between pump and rack, the others can be bodged with any oil resistant stuff and jubilee clips etc.

I have looked into all combos of threads and adaptors even went looking at the an6 stuff but cost effectiveness and something well under the burst limit meant hydraulic pipe in the end. went for 1/4 bsp as it is 14mm O.D and pretty fexible.

So got these: (prices are approx)

1 x m14x1.5 - 1/4bspp adaptor (for the rack) £2

1 x M16x1.5 - 1/4bspp adapter (for the pump) £2

1 x 1.25M 1/4 bsp hydraulic hose with 90 degree and straight end £10 for short run option.

1 x 2.5M 1/4 bsp hydraulic hose with 90 degree and straight end £14 for a more standard run option.

Also need M16 copper washer £1 (i made one), M14 copper washer £1, or take one from the banjo fitting you remove.

I also used an old bike inner tube as a rub sheath.

So approx total price = £15 for the short run or about £20 for the longer run.

Bspp = parallel thread.

Dscn5048.jpg

Dscn5049.jpg

Adaptor in, I used the M14  copper washer from the banjo connector.

Dscn5050.jpg

Dscn5051.jpg

Dscn5052.jpg

I dont think anything will foul this connector, but until i try it on my car i wont know for sure.

Dscn5053.jpg

Obviously easier to just buy a M16 washer.

Dscn5054.jpg

M16 adaptor bottoms out in pump so needs a couple of mm ground off as you want it snug on the copper washer.

Dscn5055.jpg

Dscn5056.jpg

Dscn5057.jpg

The standard long run option will need to go up to clear exhaust and turbo and probably need some heat wrap.

Dscn5058.jpg

Will update when i get around to doing it, but so far the short run option looks promising.

Edited by Sausage

Nice. I've got mine out at the mo too. Engine swap.

Getting the pressure line off the power steering pump was fun... mine are slightly weepy, but not wet. I've figured out that you could reuse the old pipes, simply by cutting off the swaged joins. Then off to pirtek or someone to renew the flexi bits i reckon. Oh, and an audi 80 clutch plate fits nice! :) Back in tomorrow.

Yeah I was looking for a cheap way of fixing it for about £30 or less and seem to have come good on that front.

If you add a 2nd bend 90 45 etc on the other end of the hose they need to know orientation to the 1st one, so i opted for straight connector instead, you can get swivel connectors but then the price goes up quite a bit, you could also split the long run into 2 hoses with a 90 degree swept joint in the middle but again price would double.

Also on the petrol cars the exhaust wont be such an issue.

Will bung on the short hose soon and then look into repairing my original one.

Nice cheap fix Sausage - where did you source your stuff from?

I'm looking to try deleting the power steering and fit a loop of hose onto the rack, but I keep getting distracted by AN fittings on Ebay, your stuff looks spot on for my job aswell

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flowfit-1-4-Hydraulic-Hose-with-BSPP-Fittings-2-Wire-100R2AT-5880-PSI/252563577452

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Male-Male-Hydraulic-Adaptor-Metric-Male-x-BSPP-Male-60-Cone/142826134109

I'm not sure if the narrow bore on the 1/4 bsp hose will be an issue or not, 3/8 bsp is next size up but will be stiffer and you'd need the 3/8 bsp adapters instead of the 1/4 ones i used obviously.

You can get compact 90 bends, swivel joints etc but i just went for the simplest options to link the pump to the rack for now and will work out the details if things need changing later on.

Cheers Sausage - with your links I put together a 3/8 kit with 90 elbows for £15

if it turns out to be rubbish I wont feel so bad having spent so little, - well at least that's what I will be telling myself whilst re-installing the PS pipes

Did you get 1/4 hose with 3/8 ends on it or 3/8 hose with 3/8 ends on it?

can i have some dimensions of the 3/8 ends (and hose is you got that)?

The factory pipe has approx 5mm ID and all the fittings are about that as well. The 1/4 bsp hose is 6mm ID which is why i chose it but the 1/4 fittings are about 3.5mm ID so may put a bit more strain on the pump, they may well be fine though but I think 3/8 fittings is the way to go.

Cheers

Dscn5059.jpg

Plenty of room...

Dscn5060.jpg

Dscn5062.jpg

Works fine. Very slight chatter at the wheel holding some lock or turning on the spot but i had over filled the reservoir. Hose doesnt chatter when holding it with someone else turning the wheel like i thought it might, so 3/8 fittings may solve that, but for now this is a cheap fix for rusty / leaking PS pressure hose, will buy the 3/8 kit and try that as well.

Edited by Sausage

I went 3/8th... but remember I am deleting my power steering, the pipe is a vent to link the 2 connections up.

Basically I am doing a DIY version of:

https://eaaengineering.com/products/mk4-golfjetta-gas-diesel-bew-de-power-steering-conversion

Granted its not as pretty, but all in a lot less cost than the $89 + postage from trumpville and then HMRC taking a chunk as well 

If I don't like manual I can put it back - will try it in stages, initially drained system for some mixed driving, then its either hoses back on or hoses, pump & reservoir stripped. Just got to source a shorter belt to drive just the alternator, that size is listed in another thread somewhere buried on here.

if the kit is still to hand and not on the car can you let me know the ID of the 3/8 fittings, i'm guessing it is up near 6mm.

I'll redo mine in 3/8 fittings anyway as i have a couple of lupos to sort out.

£5 for the adapters, £12 for the hose.

Edited by Sausage