anyone ever UK imported a german registered car?

mk2

I've been offered a German car in Germany on German plates, registered to a German, living in Germany (yes, apparently each bit matters...!). Happy to buy it off the guy and drive it back. Mod it the way I want (quite a lot) then register it here.

I've heard nightmare stories about american backpackers buying a car in Germany to drive around europe... nightmare, but that's another story!

Anyone actually done it, or know someone who has? There's a lot of stuff on the web but is well out of date...

The UK process I get (14 day time limit from the official import day- you can bring a car in, mod it, take it over to france for a day trip once modded, then bring it in officially and start the formal UK registration process). I can't figure out the german system. seems very bureaucratic, with stamps, metal plates, papers, checks, phones calls and signatures. I like the UK buying/selling process- You can do everything instantly online! I do think that here in the UK we are way way way ahead of our European friends. Germany didn't even have paypal or over the phone credit card purchasing till a few years ago.....

yeah, that much i've figured. But, real world scenario, i turn up at the airport at say 11am. he picks me up in the car and we drive back to where he lives. i check it out and say i'll have it, negotiate a bit, shake hands, guve him his cash, he gives me receipt (essential apparently), some other bits of paper, then i'd be on my merry way back to calais (insurance arranged in the uk on the chassis number). Er, no, can't do that. too easy.

i think there are four pieces of official paperwork i need- in my name. and export plates. and local insurance. but the export plates and insurance can only be arranged in person by the sounds of things. and only on certain days of the week only on a leap year, when it's a blue moon, between 9.15 and 9.30 in the morning. And if Klaus Hergesheimer at the equivalent of the local DVLA is not out checking radiation tags. Is it possible to do everything on the same day....? 

The spanish system is similar (equally stupid) when I ridiculed an official (bad move by the way!), highlighting how in the UK we have computers and CAD systems where you can design anything and then have a rubber stamp instantly made, to 'approve' the form I just filled in. which then needs to be taken to another dept to be stamped, then again and again. Then you hand the form in with all the rubber stamps and be gone. my solution: cheat. no-one will ever care. French system is the same i think.... I guess other countries haven't realised that rubber stamps are so easy to copy! As for contactless bank cards... that's just black magic!

The devil's in the detail...!?

i think being a rule follower is part of the german culture... here, we come up with rules then instantly try and find ways around them. it's one of the defining things of being a brit. it's like modifying cars... the dutch are into car mods, but in germany you need lots of money to get engineering reports and scientific analysys (official)  before you can do anything. Spain is the same. Switzerland... forget it - Even Clarkson mentioned something about comparing a modified car and having an assault rifle on the passenger seat. Swiss authorities wont care about the weapon... Dunno the rules in France or Scandanavian countries. US you can do what you like, same as here. It's our way of expressing our individuality!

Do contract.

Go to the ADAC office to buy insurance.

Go to the traffic office to get the car registered to your name and your temporary car numberplates.

Pay the (now) previous owner.

You're on your way.

Get the seller to help you.

PS. No need to forget about modifying cars in Switzerland. As long as all the parts installed are approved and legal, it's actually a piece of cake. Spain is a bit of a pain in the ass actually.

No side pipes, well lowered suspension, proper exhausts or home made custom stuff in switzerland then? ;) Most of my cars would be completely illegal! Pass uk MOT everytime though. i think most club lupo owners cars would fail in switzerland.... where did you get the parts? off ebay. who did the work? i did. who approved the work? er, me? too many regulations. that's probably why nearly all the formula 1 teams are based here.

Thanks for the ADAC tip. hadn't thought of them (a bit like the RAC here in the UK).

A traffic office. i just love it. LOL!

contract? down the beer keller is where we'll all meet! Yay! 

germany doesn't do internet car processing me thinks?