1.4 16v75hp

Ctk9000

Hi all, I imported a lupo from japan to Canada it’s a 2002 1.4 16v 75 lupo. Only 30,000kms Automatic. I have a running issue that is strange and I can’t figure out. Due to the fact i takes me about 3 weeks to get parts for the car I need some advice. 

It has 2 issues. One it will randomly not start on the first try it stumbles at dies and then second start it fires up fine. That only happens maybe once every ten times I turn it on. 

Second problem is at idle it will randomly skip a beat like it miss fires for a split second. It’s never left me stranded or died from this issue. It happens only at idle and randomly. 

No engine lights. 

Thanks for your time. 

try coolant temp sensor, same as mk4 golf so shouldn't take long.

cleaning the Tb and crank sensor last.

also, pics of lupo in it's strange setting.

ideally next toba denali Yukon.

can you get a lambda reading upstream from the cat? i've seen the symptoms a few times, and the cause can be various. i assume you have a diagnostic thing. see what the temp readings are (i agree with rich). could be loads of things. cam sensor, even crank sensor, but you'd get a CEL. The reason I mention the Lambda reading, is that it should be bang on mixture and steady. if it's jumping around, you may have multiple problems. the vcds graph plot function is your friend.

Hi guys, thanks for the quick reply’s. I will try the coolant temp sensor first. What mk4 engine would that be? Or does it matters. And unfortunately I don’t have a “tester thingy” accessible at the moment. I’ll start with what rich said and go from there. 

8984D613-EEDB-4F64-B46F-61D606AB3439.jpeg

Tester-wise, get yourself an OBD-2 Bluetooth dongle from eBay, only a couple of quid (dollars for you?), then download "Torque" onto your smartphone. If I can use it, anyone can...!

(I have however lost two dongles, because they're titchy and I am a cretin!)

Update, I bought a coolant tempature sensor matching part numbers and now my coolant only goes to 70 degrees and not 90? Any ideas ! Also before I installed the new cts the car decided it didn’t want to start. Took about 8 tries of turning it over befor it started. Going to get one of the obd2 plug ins and the app soon! Any advice is appreciated.  

Yeah, without more info, it's tricky to know what's going on. if you've bought the same sensor, and it works, you should get the same readings. take them both out, leave them to settle to the same temp on the table then measure the resistance of both the thermistors in each. you should get the same resistance. then try again with boiling water. at least that'd be something you could eliminate.

by the sounds of it, it's most likely a fuelling issue, caused by the ecu being given the wrong info- so it's not putting out the right injection pulses: under or over fuelling.