Here's Hoping

davy26

I've been a Volkswagen maniac since my first - a '55 Beetle I bought in '68 for £75.

I'm currently on my second Up! - a 2016 High - very civilised and well put-together.

But I wanted a Gti and after much confusion it looks like an order now will not secure delivery before January 2019.  Meanwhile, it's occurred to me that the Lupo Gti has that little bit more power and an engine that's capable of making some quite agreeable noises.  So, I've decided to retain my High Up! and run it day-to-day forever, adding a Lupo Gti for interest and maybe track days.  Of course I know they're difficult to find, especially low mileage and non-modified, but I'm willing and able to pay what that will demand.  I'm hopeful that I might find what I'm looking for through this Forum.

Respect and regards to all VW/Lupo enthusiasts.

David.

smleditDSCN1846_00001.jpg.85fd98a1711b44c966e87f174de93c13.jpg

welcome!

The Gti is a fab car and certainly a future classic. but bear in mind, a Lupo is now a relatively old car compared to what you're used to. Enjoy all the little extra entertainment features during your ownership :) In fact, it is many of those discussed here, daily which is what gives our cars such character!

Pretty much what I've done. My GTi isn't worth anything to anyone but me now, having covered 171k miles, so she's semi-retired these days with plans to restore her to her full former glory one-day. My Up is a 2012 High Up with pretty much all options covered bar the city crash sensor, but that's going to be my son's first car soon so I'm hoping I may get my hands on a nearly-new GTI version when the time comes.

Thanks for the responses.  I'm feeling increasingly sure that keeping my Up! for mundane purposes and adding the Lupo Gti for fun will be a good solution for me.  I've never been keen on turbocharged engines and I imagine the Lupo 1.6 has nicer throttle response and it certainly sounds better.  I admire the power and economy manufacturers like Volkswagen are getting out of these small 3 cylinder lumps nowadays,  but there are 'aesthetic' downsides in my view. 

My other gain I think will be in regard to wheels.  Currently in the UK there is no option for the Up Gti - you have to have 'Oswalds' which I don't much like the look of, and they are 17" with lower profile tyres than I'd want.  I would like to get a Lupo onto some Fuchs-look-like SSP wheels - I wonder if there's anyone on here with deep knowledge about such things please? 

4 hours ago, davy26 said:

I would like to get a Lupo onto some Fuchs-look-like SSP wheels - I wonder if there's anyone on here with deep knowledge about such things please? 

now if that's not an invitation to open a can of worms....!