SDI alternator removal - how the heck!?

ravensthorne

Nah, the copper open ring mounting to the neg terminal. When you tighten up the bolt that clamps it, it strains the edge causing the plastic to get a hairline crack. Then moisture and salt spray get in there causing an electrolytic reaction between the copper and the aluminium. (Like how a sacrificial anode works on a steel hulled ship). The ali corrodes away and separates from the copper. Open circuit. Fail. Game over.

pics FYI... you can see the tab that separated. Also thought I'd pull the elctronics cover off to see what's going on under there. OEM- beautifully simple. Chinese copy- what the heck? it doesn't need to be that complicated to be a regulator. OMG!

Also a pic of the back that is visible- not a lot. And looking down behind the slam panel. I couldn't undo the big Pozi screw that holds the dust cover on- way too tight, but it is possible to carefully bend the cover out of the way so you can get to the three screws holding the regulator in place.

DSCN4544[1].jpg

DSCN4545[1].jpg

DSCN4548[1].jpg

DSCN4547[1].jpg

DSCN4534[1].jpg

DSCN4535[1].jpg

• 4 years later...

My turn now...(thread resurrection warning)

Was it actually possible to swap the voltage regulator in the end with the alternator in situ just from the bonnet/top side?

I had a good go this morning for 45 mins...very fiddly...not sure whether to keep going later or just bite the bullet and take the front off... (@mk2 do you remember how you did it in the end?) Mines the Bosch oval plug regulator too.

-- yes it is! Very, very fiddly but the voltage regulator part can be swapped entirely from above without removing any other bits. One of the nuts had rounded off as well as got stuck but some nut remover sockets got it free. Gave it all a brush up with contact cleaner, replaced the nut and washer, new voltage regulator in, screws and cover back on, and it was charging the battery properly again. Saved a huge ordeal of taking all the front end off.

newonein.jpg

apart.jpg

oldnut.jpg

Edited by decvalts

Good job! 👍🏻

Yeah, I was going to suggest having a go, but if no luck then it'd have to come out. I failed swapping the regulator in situ, so no option but to come out.

And apparently, the best way for an alternator swap is out the front, which is what I didn't do...!

On my other Lupo, I had to pull the thing as one of the diodes had gone leaky and was slowly discharging the battery overnight. You can check it by putting an ammeter in line with the alternator output cable/terminal on the fuse block- should read zero, or no current when not running and off.

Yeah my front panel has the big alternator shaped hole which suggests front way out for a full swap, but it looks like there is still potential faffing to get the alternator bolts off to clear the chassis leg. (Flashbacks to the SDI cambelt change...)