SOLD VW Lupo spares/repair, 1.7 SDI yellow 2000

cas

Selling as a whole for spares/repair - not breaking as not possible. Sad to be parting with this Lupo. Front sub frame has damage to it (palm sized hole and rust) advised too expensive to repair.

Make: VW

Model: Lupo SDI

MOT: December 2018

Engine size: 1.7

Fuel type: Diesel

Drives well. One lady owner since 2006. Serviced and looked after. Reliable, it has never failed to start. Yellow, 224,000 miles. Recent clutch and tyres. Cam belt 170,000. Rear axle replaced April 2014.

Both door locks have failed. Damage to frame is the reason for sale. 

Price: £300 ono. 

Lupo2.jpg

Lupo1.jpg

Lupo3.jpg

change the subframe.

it is only 17 bolts.

four frame.

four rack

three lower mount

two arb

two front wishbone

leave the rack dangling above whilst you do it.

you could even plate it and lash waxoyl everywhere.

perfect car for a new driver! don't scrap it. there is a poor student out there with lots of time on their hands to fix it who would love this car. ok, so road tax is a killer compared to later cars, but 80mpg is always a winner. and low insurance too. a subframe would cost maybe £30 from a breakers yard. shame you're not nearer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • cas changed the title to SOLD VW Lupo spares/repair, 1.7 SDI yellow 2000
On 5/29/2018 at 7:59 PM, Rich said:

will it see the road though?

Gearbox and engine are probably worth more than the car as separate. Russian roulette at this point. 

i dunno, if i could find another decent arosa or lupo sdi, with no rust on rear arches or front sills, reasonable bodywork, perfect interior, good engine and box, i'd be happy to pay over a grand for it. but then you guys know how picky i am... before buying i start calculating how much it would cost to get the car back to concours condition again. if you have a car, you may as well keep it running the way nature intended (or the way it left the factory).

18 minutes ago, Rich said:

you should have bought the battered black one.

also, leave the SDI fetish and go get a tdi, you will never look back.

yeah, i've tried the non-sdi thing, but just can't get over the sound of a 3 pot. i keep thinking that there's something wrong with the engine, as all the familiar sounds are not there. you know, main bearings sound like they're on their way out. cam sounds like it's jumped a tooth, ignition sounds like it's completely retarded, valve train noise is just wrong.... i just canna take it. now when it comes to a nice straight six, v8 or even a v12, i'm a very happy chappy. i do like the old 1.9 tdi too- best engine ever made by vdub IMO.

i'm changing all the hydraulic tappets on the black sdi this afternoon. something to do on the car as everything else is perfect.

sdi isn't that slow once it's been gas flowed. At around 2200 it launches. in stock with standard egr, it really isn't that good. you can see how the engineers had to modify the inlet path just to introduce the egr. completely messed it up. i posted on here somewhere how to put it back to original, the way the designers originally intended it to be....

totally agree on the ALH. derv perfection.

On 6/2/2018 at 12:00 PM, Rich said:

the ALH is the pinnacle of VW derv engines.

sdi is just far too slow, I would much rather just suffer the petrol.

The obvious solution then is to turbo the SDI....... :P

It has been done ;) Not sure what the BHP figures were though, only about 100 i think

It is the same block I think? Without looking into too much detail. So technically could be bumped up to maybe 150 with lots of smoke. But.... the gearbox wouldn't cope. Bad enough with just 20hp (or what a lot of people think the SDI has.............)

There's easily enough space in the engine bay behind the lump for all the extras.

Could the engine take 150? There's a big difference between 100 and 150.... Or would we end up seeing a piston through the block?

Generally, the rule I follow is that you can multiply by 4 if you can get enough fuel in. So a 50hp lump could do 200. ok, we're not talking sustained all day power, but for quick blasts. the limiting thing I find is fuel injector size. at high revs, you run out of squirt time. and if you squirt when inlet closed (on petrol lumps), you get puddling and then detonation after unburnt fuel. and then the damn thing wont idle right because a big injector wont meter accurately at really short pulses.... oh, what fun.

just thinking... what's the max power a 1.9 diesel block puts out in TDI mode? it's not the ALH... maybe ARL, BPX with a different head? they're 160.

On 6/5/2018 at 9:19 AM, mk2 said:

Generally, the rule I follow is that you can multiply by 4 if you can get enough fuel in. So a 50hp lump could do 200. ok, we're not talking sustained all day power, but for quick blasts. the limiting thing I find is fuel injector size. at high revs, you run out of squirt time. and if you squirt when inlet closed (on petrol lumps), you get puddling and then detonation after unburnt fuel. and then the damn thing wont idle right because a big injector wont meter accurately at really short pulses.... oh, what fun.

just thinking... what's the max power a 1.9 diesel block puts out in TDI mode? it's not the ALH... maybe ARL, BPX with a different head? they're 160.

I would love to see one of these SDI's knocking out 200bhp. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near it on a dyno