New Lupo Owner - Steering Help please!

Magoo

Hi I've owned a lupo for a while now as my first car,  but I've hit a pothole and need some help

Basically since hitting this hole, I've noticed when left alone the steering wheel jerks to the right. If you imagine the steering wheel as a clock, it moves a couple of minutes to the right every few seconds. Seems more noticeable on acceleration and braking than driving at a steady speed. 

I've tried to research this online, and I'm getting mixed messages between "get wheel alignment and it'll be fine" and "something's broke". 

What's the simpleist way to tell what's wrong? I've rang a few garages to ask about getting the wheels aligned to rule that out, but it's low as hell and they won't touch it unless I know exactly how much it's been lowered by (which I don't as I bought the car in the condition it's in). 

Not sure what to do here, any help would be appreciated. 

Two options, if I think something is broken and really cba to look myself, I either take it to Kwik Fit and let one of those muppets put it up in the air. They'll tell you what is wrong for free and quote you how much to fix it, which is rarely cheap. Just tell them you don't think it's worth repairing and you'll drive it till it fails the MOT. Once you're armed with the information, either fix it yourself or take an indy and get them do it.

Alternatively, get the wheel alignment done first and go from there. Any mechanic worth his salt will spot if something is damaged. It sounds like an an alignment issue to me though. Why not raise the car a little bit if it's dumped on it's arse?

Sorted.

have you jacked it up and spun the wheel round to see if it is bent (look at both sides of the wheel) or if there are bulges on the tyre (look at both sides of tyre)

have you got alloy wheels? they are more easily damaged by potholes because  a) the metal is weaker   and  B when you have alloys the wheels usually have lower profile tyres on which means the pothole hits the wheel more easily

Edited by isetta