To Polybush or not to Polybush

JasperIrl

On 14/04/2018 at 7:17 PM, mk2 said:

always oem.

For the occasional spirited drive OEM rubber bushes are fine. But if the OP wants more poly bushes tighten up and keep everything that way longer than rubber + they are easier to fit

On 14/04/2018 at 8:37 PM, Rich said:

lemforder ones.

Yes- I've had Lemforder stuff very occasionally come with VW part numbers on them, sometimes even seen the number ground off too, build quality is really good and usually come with new nuts and bolts- something lesser brands don't do.

• 2 weeks later...

I was all about polybushing a few years ago, but now I think it's a bit of a waste of time really. They're expensive, the ride worsens and despite what they claim, Polybush do wear, they just don't wear as quickly, but bear in mind OEM rubber bushes take years to wear out..... My SDI had 172k miles on, and I didn't change a single bush in the entire time I owned it (if you don't count the stupid check strap bushes).

Stick with OEM or Lemforder like Rich said. Your spine will appreciate it.

I dont agree, but I respect the opinions given.

I can see OEM rubber bushes working better for others, but to me poly bushes help with how I drive, at least that is my experience in my Mk3 & 4 - especially the boaty Mk4.

May be I should rule myself out, my Mk3 started with power flex purple beam bushes, I did not notice the difference when I changed to blacks - the purples failed prematurely, that's why I am not a fan of PF, but will have to bite the bullet when I rebuild the Lupo beam and go for black ones as there really is no other choice other than OEM, I cant be arsed with the hassle of pushing those in, much prefer the poly fitment. I am about to Super pro the front end, it is a shame they dont do the beam too.

There is no definitive answer as it is such a subjective subject.

I decided to go with oem in the end. 

Will come back with an opinion when fitted. 

Personally, I didn't want to make the car any louder inside or to stiff. 

Also fitting a new rear arb and 30mm lowering springs so will let you's know.

Thanks for the opinions, info! ?oh and the massive price difference didn't help ?

11 hours ago, JasperIrl said:

oh and the massive price difference didn't help ?

The price difference is irreverent - as poly bushes in general last longer than OEM rubber, take less time to install and (if you believe it or not) improve handling.

They do not transmit noise into the car and the refreshed steering feel you will get with new rubber bushes is what you get with polys - but that exact feeling lasts a whole lot longer.

last week or so I put lemforder ones in both of mine.

seemed the clever thing to do whilst they were off as the old ones were splitting away from the metal in the centre.

On 5/7/2018 at 9:33 AM, LR5V said:

The price difference is irreverent - as poly bushes in general last longer than OEM rubber, take less time to install and (if you believe it or not) improve handling.

They do not transmit noise into the car and the refreshed steering feel you will get with new rubber bushes is what you get with polys - but that exact feeling lasts a whole lot longer.

The handling thing is subjective? I've driven polybushed cars in the wet that are twitchy and prone to losing their back end, simply because of polybush.

I also don't agree about them not transmitting noise into the car. Polybush's firm up the ride, and that in itself will always result in a slight noise increase. The refreshed steering feeling is just one of those things.

12 minutes ago, Skezza said:

The handling thing is subjective? I've driven polybushed cars in the wet that are twitchy and prone to losing their back end, simply because of polybush.

I've also found this too. the trouble is that by reducing the amount of 'give' in the suspension, especially the rear on a FWD car means all the shock has to be taken up by the tyres. and unless you run a really soft pirelli or goodyear compound, the tyres start bouncing around corners. airborne=you lose the back end. so for regular road tyres, at regular temperatures and pressures, I'd always say stick with squishy OEM bushes.

31 minutes ago, mk2 said:

I've also found this too. the trouble is that by reducing the amount of 'give' in the suspension, especially the rear on a FWD car means all the shock has to be taken up by the tyres. and unless you run a really soft pirelli or goodyear compound, the tyres start bouncing around corners. airborne=you lose the back end. so for regular road tyres, at regular temperatures and pressures, I'd always say stick with squishy OEM bushes.

Precisely this. Hence, in the dry, I can imagine polybushes will give a small, but noticeable handling improvement thanks to the laws of friction. That is completely the opposite when in the wet though. Like you said, the ride is less 'flexible', if you will. Body roll, despite what scene kids will tell you, isn't actually a bad thing.... too much body roll is a bad thing, but a completely rigid ride is equally bad, just in different ways.

one of my mk2s still has the original from new oem bushes, and thats after 135kmiles. not even slightly perished or worn. beats me why. my mk4 rear is already on its third oem set at 120k.