GTI Upgrades

LR5V

Been picking away at the Lupo half an hour here a couple of hours there. I have nearly reached bottom for parts being removed with only gear selector being the last thing to extract, everything around the gearbox is removed -apart from battery cable on alternator & starter.

Big landmark was getting the subframe out

zoLaXV.jpg

THe PO mentioned an upgraded gearbox mount - no big bush

KyJr9C.jpg

Then my heart skipped a beat

vUBfEj.jpg

aDOJYR.jpg

The crack was hiding within the subframe, I am thanking myself for doing the subframe now rather than waiting till winter

Everything is so crusty

cbzKIo.jpg

• Like 1

Polybushes just send the force elsewhere.

Bad ideas.

I did my subframe this summer, was also crusty.

Refurbed my wishbones with new bushes, no aftermarket bendy crap.

Edited by Rich

Maybe, but the PO did track this in Europe - it could have popped going round carousel at the ring...or the rust weakened the whole thing.

Dropped off all the stuff at the powder coater's today.

Looked into new rear adjustable spring seat from AP, at £53.10 each, plus VAT, plus postage (if you buy 2 that's nearly a quarter of the cost of a full kit!) I will happily have a go at loosening the one low one off, just cant grip the base. May have to cut a notch in the top of the threads to hold it in position

I have not looked in depth at the powerflex ones, but know enough to say there is no outer metal shell, only an inner metal core.

The PF rear control arm bushes have a short tube insert into the sub-frame -one top, one bottom, it seems a bit Heath Robinson to me - not as bad as MK3 Golf ones

But the Superpro has a single tube that slides from under neath through the subframe, straight through the arm and into the top of the subframe. I think it will spread the load between  arm and subframe better.

Rich - are you under the weather fella - I was surprised you missed the "No big bush" comment in my thread above?

I mostly troll the internet whilst hanging out back of work so it isn't ever in that much depth.

The golf MK2/3 ones have a metal side and if you fit the wrong way the wishbone falls out.

Years ago I had bought an ebay Chinese copy of the B&M short shifter for my Mk4, but I never got round to fitting, was delighted to find out the same shifter fitted the Lupo

Hardest part was this:

kIXlhF.jpg

I am still bemused that the bottle cap washers were all there and the alloy shields had not been F'ed up - think its my first VAG car to be like this

New shifter was very easy to install & fits well in the Mk5 bush upgrade I already had installed

sv81l0.jpg

And money shot

oMq6uR.jpg

I get the feeling this will be a PITA to align as the lock pin is not accommodated in the new shifter, but that joy can wait till everything is back together.

I don't even use the lock pin so you should be fine, just get a monkey to sit inside and hold it at the right position.

If you had the standard manifold then dropping the exhaust would be so much easier.

Lucky you had the front off.

What exhaust is it?

Thanks  - yes its not ideal but it is as VW intended.

Admittedly my bigger manifold runner makes the gap smaller. One of my spare engines has an original manifold attached, comically the original runners are not much bigger than my thumb!

If it was an issue I would look into heat wrapping or foil blanket - if you do this don't go cheap ebay no brand that self distructs after 3 months - Thermotec are the go-to for this.

Also as AC is deleted I could drop the Alternator down lower away form manifold, just need to find a bracket without AC -but that may interfere with the oil cooler pies that are going in that area.

Who is that Rich?

Off today, picked up my powder coating:

gpCguW.jpg

Apart from choosing the wrong red for the brakes - Knew I should have taken one of the rear calipers to colour match I am really pleased. working with clean parts is a joy.

Rear beam - Waiting on a few ebay orders & some stuff from TPS

Sub-frame -someone ordered 21mm Superpro ARB bushes instead of 22mm... when the correct ones turn up I put it back together

Edited by LR5V

@Reedo the white clips - I just went to TPS, I can look out the current PN if you need it - they are a stock item. The brake pipes are a stopgap till I run internal brake pipes, I learnt form on here they are Mk4 ones, Chinese made but very good for £20 on Ebay I am pleased with them, hard pipe looks like Cunifer - better than copper- and the flexi seems to be stainless. Suspect the terminals are steel, but at this price I can live with it. they do need a bit of bending as they are a bit longer than originals

@Rich the floor dents just by looking at it, we just try to tell ourselves it is character & the pipes are not stressed they currently sit like that in a semi aroused state - any word on who has a non-AC bracket?

@cj1 Thanks - but I have reordered the correct part  number this time, should be with me at latest Thursday, just need to send the wrong ones back.

I gave up on finding rear disc guards on ebay, ordered some in TPS - less than £10 a side - bargain. 

On the flip side Tie-rods for the Gti are £100 a side from TPS - they only sell them complete. Did some digging on TRW e-catalogue, I hope I have found the correct part for a fraction of TPS price.

14 hours ago, LR5V said:

@Reedo the white clips - I just went to TPS, I can look out the current PN if you need it - they are a stock item. The brake pipes are a stopgap till I run internal brake pipes, I learnt form on here they are Mk4 ones, Chinese made but very good for £20 on Ebay I am pleased with them, hard pipe looks like Cunifer - better than copper- and the flexi seems to be stainless. Suspect the terminals are steel, but at this price I can live with it. they do need a bit of bending as they are a bit longer than originals

I gave up on finding rear disc guards on ebay, ordered some in TPS - less than £10 a side - bargain. 

On the flip side Tie-rods for the Gti are £100 a side from TPS - they only sell them complete. Did some digging on TRW e-catalogue, I hope I have found the correct part for a fraction of TPS price.

Appreicate the link to the pipe. 

If you could get me the part number that would be great.. My Rear beam has been dropped of at the powder coater. Was tempted by a decent colour just went matte black in the end.

I found a pair of brake dust covers on Ebay they were like £36 but I was suprised when I went to VW and they were only £8 each

10 hours ago, Reedo said:

If you could get me the part number that would be great.. My Rear beam has been dropped of at the powder coater. Was tempted by a decent colour just went matte black in the end.

I found a pair of brake dust covers on Ebay they were like £36 but I was suprised when I went to VW and they were only £8 each

£8 - I've been ripped of at TPS!

The white plastic clips are called a "Bracket" PN on my invoice is S5Q0611797B -just tried googling it, didnt come up with anything, please ask if you can see one before buying. 45p each plus vat - you need 4