How is CV joint held on shaft

isetta

On my Lupo 1.0 base model there is a split outer CV gaiter. I could put one of those gaiters on that is split and then glued together once in place. many years ago that type did tend not to last too long, I don't know if they are better now. But I would rather do it properly with a one piece gaiter that does not need glueing.

What I am not clear on is how the cv joint is held on the shaft. On cars I have done the gaiters on before there is a circlip holding the joint on the shaft and the ears of the circlip needed moving outwards with circlip pliers to let the shaft slide out of the circlip (the circlip remaining in the cv joint).

I looked at a youtube video of someone, on a Lupo , separating the cv joint from the shaft and they were whacking the outer edge of the cv joint with a hammer and not using any circlip pliers. Is that the correct way of doing it?  , not sure on exact terminology, does that mean it has a snap ring in there and not a circlip? do they generally come apart OK or can it turn into a nightmare?

So if I take the three bolts out of the bottom ball joint, then get someone to hold the driveshaft pulling it towards the gearbox, whilst I whack the outer part of the cv joint with a hammer (I would probably put a lump of wood inbetween hammer and cv joint) should it come apart easily?

it's held on by a spring clip which compresses when you wack the spider spline against it. yeah use a hammer carefully.

the easiest way is to remove the whole driveshaft. remove 6 spline bolts on gearbox end. remove track rod end. remive lower ball joint. remove two bolts on shock. oh yeah, remove cv joint nut while wheel is still on the ground, as it's tight (and loosesn the 4 wheel bolts).

then slide it out and cut off the old cv boot. hammer centre off shaft. clean. fit new cv boot. fit spring washer and plastic cone, greas cv joint. slide on new cv joint. tap home till spring clip locks cv joint on. fill with grease. fit retaining clamps. tighten big clamp. squeeze out excess air, tighten small clamp. refit to car. sorted.

keep everything really really clean while working.

also, if it is the short shaft, take the gearbox side off with circlip pliers and then just slide your boot onto the outer.

outers are sometimes a lovely person to get off so I tend to avoid it.

hadn't really thought of water going in, I can see how once in there it will not drain out. So just ordered on ebay 2 x stretch gaiters with the clips and grease and one cone for £7.99 including postage. seems ridiculously cheap. I only need one at present but I thought I may as well pay 7.99 for two instead of 5.49 for one .  Watched a youtube video of one being installed (not on a lupo). Amazing how they can stretch that much. I will report back on how it went, but based on my lack of speed in getting around to doing things and the weather, it might be a few weeks.

Whilst I was originally intending to do it the 'proper' way by taking joint off the shaft, these stretch gaiters seem to be cheaper compared to non-stretch ones. 

these are the boots i use. exactly like oem. and not too pricey:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAT-AROSA-CORDOBA-BIZA-LEON-TOLEDO-INCA-CV-BOOT-KIT/130230313021

this sounds like time for another 'how-to'. i have another lined up to swap. camera ready.

Edited by mk2