Lupo making strange "whoo" sound, almost like an owl, but also sounds a bit electronic

Pete0309

Driving home from work last night through countryside, and would occasionally hear a kinda "whoo" sound.  Thought it was an owl in the countryside, but it happened today on the way there.  Anyone have any idea what this could be?  It also sounds sorta electronic, especially as it fades out.

Considering you've given no real detail we don't have much to go on. Slipping power steering belt though would be my first guess.

here's a clue. just about every vdub from about 1977 does it. and more in damp wet weather. rarely in hot dry weather (although there is a different but very similar sound that can come from the engine bay of a mk2 or an audi 80 only in hot weather). that's probably given it away... :) rich don't spoil my amusement! (i know you know this one)

Edited by mk2
trying to keep rich quiet

16 hours ago, mk2 said:

here's a clue. just about every vdub from about 1977 does it. and more in damp wet weather. rarely in hot dry weather (although there is a different but very similar sound that can come from the engine bay of a mk2 or an audi 80 only in hot weather). that's probably given it away... :) rich don't spoil my amusement! (i know you know this one)

Please please tell me!  Is the car safe to drive?  How can I fix it?

ok, time's up! :)

its the interior fan blower motor bearing running dry. annoying, but it'll carry on for years. to 'fix' it, it just needs a couple of drops of oil, but is a right pain to get to. really hot weather can release a little lube onto the shaft so it'll be fine again for a few months.

nothing to worry about.

the other similar sounding event can be the radiator fan motor bearing, but that often makes a humming sound along with the "t'woo"...

do a site search with the word "owl" and see how often it comes up... :)

Edited by mk2

If it depends on the travel speed can be from the wheel bearing (if you happen to hear the sound in about the same area you probably accelerate there harder).

Usually in this situation the sound only occurs once and does not reappear even if the conditions in which it appeared are reproduced (it isn't a rule, but it can happen ) and  the sound disappear at the speed reduction.

yeah, lupo/arosa wheel bearings are way too small for the front wheel loading forces on a 1ton car. they make more of a grinding/humming noise when they start to go, related to car speed. the faster, the louder...