Water in passenger footwell - stumped!

Grumpy

I have traced water in my passenger footwell to one of the usual culprits being a leak from the speaker. However, I am stumped as to the cause of it. The speakers look totally original and are held in place with 2 rivets (exactly the same of the drivers door). The membrane on the passenger door has 2 small tears around the area where the speaker cable needs to come through - these are however significantly bigger than the drivers door membrane which just has a small slit for the speaker cable. I have taped up the passenger door membrane however the leak hasn't gone away. If you pour water over the passenger door you can see a small trickle of water from the bottom of the speaker which then of course bridges the door seal and seeps into the cabin. The 4 drain holes in the bottom of the door are clear. By way of precaution I have also cleaned out the drain holes behind the scuttle panels.

Any ideas please?

Door dropped down causing the seal not to close fully? The mk1 Leon’s suffer badly with this but it’s the membrane seal failing. Or maybe the seal itself is naff?

Rich - when I remove the speaker is it likely to be apparent what is causing the leak. Also forgive my ignorance but what am I looking to seal with the bathroom sealant. Finally do I need to use rivets to reattach the speakers to the door or can I use screws. Appreciate your help.

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to have four rivets in each speaker to hold them on, mine certainly did

There are only 2 rivets holding my speakers in on both doors. I had the check straps replaced om both doors a couple of weeks back and I am therefore pretty sure you have solved the issue for me. I will use some bathroom sealant around the bottom half of the speakers as Rich has suggested and then reattach them with 4 rivets each side. Thanks guys.

Quick update. Speaker pop riveted back in with 4 rivets the correct length (thanks lupogtiboy) and a liberal amount of bathroom silicon (thanks Rich) and hey presto leak fixed. Happy days:D

• Like 1

piece of stupid trivia... "pop" is a brand. so when you ask for pop rivets you're asking for a specific brand of rivet. they are called blind rivets someone who sells rivets for a living told me. It's like asking for a hoover instead of a vacuum cleaner. yes i know, mad but true! :) A most rivetting discussion that was...

• Like 1

Jolly good bolt place it is too, they regularly sort me out with big boxes of nuts/bolts/fixings for the price that you'd usually expect to pay for 3 in a zippy pack in Halfrauds :) 

Have you sorted out my undertray yet ;)

Edited by JoeyEunos