Hello.

Keiranleigh

Hello, I'm keiran I'm 19 and live in Burton Latimer (Northamptonshire). I'm currently an apprentice mechanic on a level 3 motor vehicle course at college. I brought the Lupo 1.4 16v 2002 a few days ago as my first car. I guess that's it really! I'm here to discuss and learn.

Thanks, keiran.

Ps. Pictures to follow shortly; weathers not to good.

Edited by Keiranleigh

Let us all know when you've cracked the link between compression pressure, octane rating, piston velocity and flame front velocity. Lots of maths, but i'm not sure that they teach it anymore. Welcome! Yeah, the weather's pants at the mo.

10 hours ago, mk2 said:

Let us all know when you've cracked the link between compression pressure, octane rating, piston velocity and flame front velocity. Lots of maths, but i'm not sure that they teach it anymore. Welcome! Yeah, the weather's pants at the mo.

Thanks for the welcome,

With L3 its more diagnosing issues and learning about modern to future technology. With regards to the "compression pressure, octane rating, piston velocity and flame front velocity" we have only been taught about octane ratings. (not sure if it was a real question to answer?) 

Nah, just having a laugh...! It took me a while to get to grips with it. The speed of the flame depends on the pressure, the mixture and the octane rating as well as a million other smaller things. Think bicycle crank- you want max pressure at 90 degrees......

So are you doing much stuff to do with electric cars? I'd guess that just about every topic is related to electronics in cars now... what diagnostic system do they train people on now? I learnt on the old ford system...

Your 16v lump will be loadsa fun to play with. Lupos are simple little cars (except gti). I bet you'll have it purring like a sewing machine within a couple of weeks (once the weather is better). :)

It is very involved with electronics! As for 'full' electric cars not so much but more about hybrids and hydrogen. But yes everything is around electronics (sensors, ECUs). But the worst thing is that they don't tech you the 'old stuff'. We have some old cars in (at the garage I work at) and I look at them and everything is mechanical. Something's make sense but others...

What do you mean about the "diagnostic system"?

What is there to adjust/ change to make it run better? I did spark plugs, air and fuel filters last night (although the air box had quite alot of oil from the left breather pipe!! There was no oil on the dip stick when I brought it sadly) . Hopefully oil filter tonight. But as for the running is it hydraulic tapits? And I'll pull the egr off and clean inside but what else is there.

Edited by Keiranleigh
Spelling

if no oil, not a major problem (but not good). Get two new oil filters.... and a can of good oil and a can of cheapo rubbish. And half a litre of diesel. flush engine on new filter with cheapo oil and the diesel in with the oil. drive with that for a hundred miles or so- make sure the engine gets hot and loaded for at least ten minutes. not just idling. then change the oil for new fresh stuff with new filter. i generally dump the sump fumes under the car with some flexi conduit pipe, but some mot places can get funny. at least it means all the air going into your engine will be clean.

yeah, old skool stuff. Hmmm. I guess the course is keeping it relevant, as the majority of cars in garages are less than 10 years old. no-one ever sees carbies. when you're taught how to talk to a car's ecu, you use a diagnostics kit- just was wondering how that is done these days... what system do you use?

Why diesel in with the oil? Could a oil 'cleaner' due the job (forte or something)? Would the diesel alter the oils properties. And what's causing the oil in the air box? ( Blocked breather) and is it PCV.

With the diagnostic machine we use a snap-on ultra or something, it's updated regularly so it talks to anything. 

Edited by Keiranleigh
Add infomation

diesel in with oil is a cheaper/faster way to degunk the inside of your engine. additives in diesel clean more efficiently than engine flush, and works better when driving it around instead of just letting it idle.... if the oilwas very low, there'll be loads of tarry, varnish build up everywhere. lots of blow by fumes (causing oil in air box) could be a sign the rings have had it, but you'll only know once it's been driven a while, after flushing. (lots of blue smoke on power=rings dead). yeah, disconnect that oil breather pipe, and point it at the road. block the air box hole at the same time.

Well trying to hold it together. Just did the first oil and filter almost cried. ( See pictures.) I have not done the diesel thing, it will cost about £10 for oil and filter so I shall them quite often to make it up to her! 

IMG_20180307_191429608.jpg

IMG_20180307_191421543.jpg

Edited by Keiranleigh
Add information