Engine management code P1444

mike.gamble

To add to the Lupos current woes, I’ve had the engine management light on since I got it.

I thought it was the EGR valve but took that off, deep cleaned it, refitted and got a friend to clear.

It came back almost straight away.

Potentiometer for EGR, implausible signal.

Any ideas?

E1B6F521-31AA-4553-A843-C5CEEA62573B.jpeg

Does that model have EGR feedback? So the ECU knows how open the egr valve is? Usually a fault like that means the valve activation coil is shorted out or open circuit. Oh, hang on, you're using a different diagnostic setup- might just be the label file from a different model car is being used.... yeah, check the connections to the coils

I've checked all the connections to the coils and replaced the HT leads and no joy.

However,  what I have noticed is that the fuel economy is terrible. I'm getting less than 200 miles from a tank. I hadn't noticed it previously as it's not my only vehicle and I never set the trip meter but, I became a bit suspicious last week and decided to fill her up and do the trip meter.

Is this likely to be linked?

I've done a bit of reading online and I've read all sorts of possible faults from bad connections in the rear light units to blocked pipes but, I can't find a thread where someone has finished the topic by saying it's working, and this is what I did!

Yeah, what Rich says... you can check all the temp probes first thing before starting up using your diagnostics. They should be all giving about the same (6-7c right now). Then do the same after the end of a run and see what measurements you get. The coolent sensor actually has two sensors in, one runs the dash, the other feeds the ECU.