Diesel engine vacuum pump

mk2

I was wondering how the vacuum pump works on an SDI. Anyone ever stripped one down?

I think that its wierd that instead of generating a pressure system to operate the brakes on a diesel car it still uses the same vacuum boost as on petrol cars. I guess it just makes it cheaper to have the same brake system on all models...?

For diesel engines, the vacuum formed in the intake manifold is too small (because a Diesel engine has no throttle butterfies  then a vacuum is not created in the inlet manifold in the same way as in a petrol engine) so a separate pump is needed for the brake servo pump and for the control of actuators (EGR, turbo, etc).The PD motors are included it in the tandem pump.

So the inside of our pumps is a blade wiping system, like inside some ac compressors. Anyone ever heard of them failing? Mine are fine, but curious to know if anyone has ever come across a duff one. I like the way that they are lubed. Clever.