Car won't start after overfilling oil and spark plug change

Pete0309

1 hour ago, Pete0309 said:

where is the crank sensor, do you have a pic or diagram?

Not having ever worked on a 1.4, i think it's down behind the oil filter, bolted to the front of the block. Google how much a new one is and you'll find a pic of what it looks like... :) 

1 hour ago, Skezza said:

I love Phaetons. Poor man's Bentley.

It is a bentley in disguise... just about the most understated luxury car out there. Just a nice car imho. I wish i could afford one, and the running costs.

1 hour ago, Pete0309 said:

Also forgot to add that the cam sensor seemed very oily so we cleaned that out as well.  Have also checked the fuses and all are ok.

Unlikely to be cam sensor. Engine should still run without a cam sensor...

I know all about what a phaeton is and then some.

the crank sensor is behind the starter motor on the back of the block, it is fun to get to but it is a viable option here.

3 hours ago, Rich said:

I know all about what a phaeton is and then some.

You've worked on a Phaeton Rich?! respect.

@Pete0309

not sure the diagnostics link will work while cranking, as the volts are too low and it usually drops out. But you could start a log and see if it catches the rpm. If you get an RPM reading, it means the ecu is seeing engine rotation, and it should be chucking out ignition pulses to the coil pack. If you still get no spark, it'll almost certainly be either the leads or the coil. Very unlikely to be a faulty ECU output.

Hi mk2,

We do get RPM graph on diag machine when cranking, so then tried disconnecting the crank sensor and did diagnostics again. Still getting an RPM graph when cranking, hence wondering which sensor that would be?

With it disconnected we got a fault code about the engine speed sensor, so thinking that probably means the crank sensor is OK as it noticed we disconnected it?

When testing for spark it was like we occasionally get a weak spark, but very intermittent.

Yeah it sounds like both crank and cam sensor are ok. My guess is the coil pack or leads or both. You could try baking the coil pack in an oven at about 80c for an hour then putting it back on the car. Drying it out might be a temporary fix just to get it firing up. 

• 2 weeks later...

er, hang on.... did you mean coil or coilS? Big difference in the way everything works. on one type, you have a coil block thing directly on each plug, the other way you have a chunky thing with ht leads plugging into it. i'm guessing the latter...? like rich says, very very extremely unusually rare for all four individual mini coils to go at the same time (one per plug)....?