Help arosa sdi (wheel bearing) noise

Joshhert

I use multi spline ones, was sure they’d strip the new bolt but was extremely surprised when they didn’t, even when putting stupid torque setting on them.

The worst examples i can think of for bolt heads stripping that aren't regular bolts are the standard hex types found holding on the crankshaft pulley of a mk2. They rust out, then you put a key into it and bang it slips. I've machined a tapered hex key that you hammer into those things just so you undo them. Always replaced with brand new then filled with a slug of thick grease to help out the next guy...

Sounds like merc head bolts are more sensible than the silly things you get on some dub engines... that wierd "ribe" tool profile. What's that all about?

• 2 weeks later...

So I did the tests, both cv joints greasy and in good condition.

The flanges they bolt onto had no roughness or slop, hard to turn by hand initially but once turning feel easy and smooth. When driving (hand brake on) in first with one shaft off, no strong noise. In neutral the flange was driving? I guess the force being transferred by box oil? But easily  stopped by hand. 

Being that it's quiet driving straight, but now equally loud turning at all either way, my guess is pinion bearing/s?

Just a small note, but avoid j&r driveshaft bolts, not only are they allen bolts, but they are too long for the passenger side, and would foul on the gear box housing a few turns before being home

Edited by Joshhert
Error

er, me thinks it's your gearbox based on your findings. it is still salvageable right now, but could suddenly go any moment and you'd need a replacement box with sdi gear ratios (hard to find). personally, i wouldn't drive it, unless heading to a gearbox rebuilder. all the rebuild bits cost about £90 and you'd have the equivalent of a new box afterwards.

Thanks mk2, I was coming to that conclusion, and its great to have informed 2nd and 3rd opinions. 

Also having done more than two hundred miles since the Noise became very distressing, and much more Than 2000 since I first noticed it, i agree that it would be unwise to push it

Does anyone know a good transmissions place? Preferably Wales our southwest England? 

Hoping for 500 for gearbox recon refit and new clutch

if you have the patience and a trolley jack, you could pull it out yourself and take it to a place, complete with a basic rebuild kit. be much cheaper that way. although word has it that cj1 has a good box ready to go.... at £250 for a good used sdi box that's cheap.

then you do up yours in your free time then sell it to the next unlucky sdi owner (probably me with two...)

Thanks for the contacts and advice, mart have me a good estimate for the recon. 

Are all arosa's 085 boxes? What's the right price for a recon box, 500?

I'm thinking I might swap mine out and then recon at my leisure

Glad to hear it - good price & I suspect there is no one better with VAG boxes in the UK, going to send mine for quaife and rebuild

If you want to help your engine rev, send him your fly wheel for lightening at the same time - he will even balance your pressure plate on the flywheel too!