Greetings from the Canada!

oprn

Yeah, a lot of parts are interchangable. The thing that makes it tricky is the part numbers. Same goes for older Audi parts, but I can't remember if Audi were ever stateside. Quite a few Audi 80 and 100 parts I've noticed are exactly the same as Lupo parts. The onky trouble is that none of the cross reference guides say so. Depends how friendly you are with your local independent car parts supplier, if they let you wander around their warehouse, with an old lupo part in hand... comparing like with like is so much easier. The most recent thing I've discovered is the lupo clutch. It's an Audi 100 clutch from early 80's! Pay $5 instead of $100+ for the same thing. Especially if you're only changing everything because it's in pieces which I like to do just to save time.

Interesting! I have seen the odd Audi 100 but never an 80. The Audi 100 engine is what was in the Porsche 924. I had an Audi Fox and other than a few brackets and a different flywheel/clutch it was identical to the Rabbit engine. In fact I have the Fox oil pan and cam with a Dodge Omni crankshaft in a '78 FI Rabbit block in my '76 Rabbit as we speak!

If only there was a parts warehouse within reasonable driving distance... or even an old time parts guy that  knew what fit what. The modern parts guy is not required to think, just has to punch in numbers and the computer does the thinking.

Edited by oprn

Shorter belt on now and it's on the road. Nothing but dead ends so far on finding replacement bits. I just noticed is says Made in Japan on the name tag. Is it possible that it is unique to that country?

IMG_1188.JPG

IMG_1189.JPG

IMG_1190.JPG

Edited by oprn

It's got a polo part number... 6N0820803B 

Just had a look online. It's pretty much universal for many many cars. Mainly german stuff though.

Looks like you degassed it then... it's hard to find R134A over here now (not inexpensively). I was going to say that if you can get that clutch off, it's worth having a go at simply changing the bearing. And they're cheap. 

But having heard about Canadian weather, you have no rush... :)

I did not want to degas the system but it was looking like a long grind to find the bits so we had to take it off to put a short belt on to get the car back on the road. I was looking on line and yes it seems there are lots of sites that list it in lots of different languages, nothing in North America at this point. Hopefully I will get a chance to pull it apart today and see if the clutch is salvageable with a new bearing.

You are correct about our weather, it will be 8 months before we will have a need for AC and then only about 2 weeks use at best. The car could stay like this permanently and not really be a problem. Funny thing is all of these Japanese cars have AC which we really don't need here but none of them so far have cruise control which we desperately miss! I suspect that over there if you did find a straight piece of road long enough to use it the traffic would be too dense. Here we have roads that go on from horizon to horizon dead straight with little to no traffic. 

Got it apart. The balls ended up all over the floor. Not much salvageable here! And as usual the part number you gave me I am told is not valid. 

I contacted my nearest VW dealer, when the parts guy found out it was for a Lupo/Polo he told me they have no access to offshore parts. I reminded him that someone in his dealership was consulted before I bought the car and I was assured by them that there would be no problem getting parts. He said he would get back to me. He phoned me back later saying that VW of Germany will supply parts if I provide proof of ownership, all related import documents including a signed import approval document from my government, proof of registration and insurance. What the *%&#@ do they think this car is? An anti aircraft missile launcher? An artillery battery? A nuclear warhead?  

Ok I have all that but what business is it of their's? Good grief! 

Well at this point I am not desperate enough to drive 5 hours round trip to lay out my life's secrets to total strangers. Not such a big deal I suppose but there are a few options left yet before I go that route!

IMG_1191.JPG

IMG_1192.JPG

If you get the bearing completely off, measure it, I'm fairy sure it'll be a bog standard deep groove thing. Off the shelf from any bearing supplier. I bet that must have made a lot of noise, grinding away....

There's a clear reason why engine bays shouldn't be washed... once a rubber seal gets a bit worn, water gets in, dragging all sorts of particles of hard silicates (sand) with it. Sand, water and a bit of grease work superbly as an abrasive- lots of bearing wear. 

Edited by mk2

The bearing is not the whole story here. The clutch surface is worn unevenly and down to the rivets. The coil is fried too. You can see in the picture the burnt part and the broken wires sticking out.

Franklin had a surprise for the Missus this morning. He only wanted to idle. Do you suppose he was sending her the message that it's time to hibernate? It was only -20. He was back to normal tonight when I got home...

CQRS6195_Moment.jpg

That service oil light I assume is something that comes up as a reminder and needs to be reset when the oil has been changed. The oil and filter are fresh but I don't know how that is accomplished.

That EPC Is probably caused by gloop clagging up the throttle valve spindle. If it goes all stiff (when really cold), it gives wrong TPS readings, resulting in the ecu thinking it isn't responding.... do the usual mod of bypassing the oil breather down to the road. No nasty fumes for the engine to inhale. Cleaner burn, more power (slightly), better emissions. Happy engine. Happy owner.

Yup ten seconds on the trip reset button fixed the oil service notification. Thanks Rich!

The EPC thing makes sense. That is in line with my favorite foreign car mechanic's suggestion (who's shop is 16 hours round trip away) to take the throttle body off and clean it out with brake clean. I will look into redirecting the crankcase vent system.

Thanks all! 

If you really get stuck for replacement AC compressor, can I suggest you contact  Orchideuro they import parts from Europe by the container to Pennsylvania. I suspect its not the quickest of services, but you are happy to wait.

I understand the guy in charge is Jamie Orr, a good name in VW community, he does some mad 5 day builds on You tube

Thanks for that link LR5V! That will be worth checking out for sure. There are complete compressors for sale all over E Bay in the $400 range which is OK but all I really need is the clutch pulley assembly. They are typically listed for around $80. The pictures look right, part number matches but the compressor they say it fits is wrong so I have not pulled the trigger yet. 

39 minutes ago, Rich said:

I'm sure if it is an issue I have two GTi ones spare.

Is that complete compressors Rich or just the clutch pulley?

I'm pretty sure they're both intact and doing nothing ever.

I'll probably be down the unit in over a week or so then I can take a pic.

Slightly pre occupied with mysterious things atm.

Thanks, no rush. I don't really need the compressor as this one feels fine and only has 75K on it. I doubt that any used one would be in better shape.

Edited by oprn

Yes. I am aware of the mystery. Even though it’s still mysterious because Rich is being mysterious but I know the mystery. I’m rather honoured. And yes Rich I have kept the mysterious thing a mystery. ❤️

• Thanks 1