Greetings from the Canada!

oprn

Dry day. Trolley jack. Piece of carpet. Coveralls. Gloves. Eye protection. Paint brush and spray gear.... off you go :) And here in the uk, many cups of tea to help keep things calm.

Point of interest, did you know that if you fold the rear seat up, open up some packing boxes and put them in the boot, one of these will fit in a Lupo? Without the head and antlers of course!

Well Ok, I could have fit them in too, separate from the rest!

IMG_1136.JPG

Edited by oprn

Should be, there are thousands of them killed on our roads every year. There are more killed by vehicles than hunters take home by far. It's the biggest driving hazard in our part for sure! 

A fellow I know shot this one to make a wall mount out of but the rules here state that if you shoot it, you eat it so he was looking for someone to eat it. We had already got one of our own so I loaded this one up and took it to my brother 8 hours round trip away. I hadn't seen him in over a year so it was an excuse to do that but the trip seemed a little more sensible at to do at 42 mpg in the Lupo than at 18 mpg in the truck. Call me cheap but that's why we all own Lupos , not?

It worked and not a drop of blood in Franklin! We got to his area and the petrol was $1.07 / liter as compared to $1.35 in our area. Don't you just love the free market economy?

Definition: Free to work over the public at will! 

Nice, but it looks like the inside edges of the rear arches were masked off. That's where they always go... if you can get a jug of the stuff, may be worth hand painting the stuff on, just on that sharp edge, inside the arch.

I derusted and had to respray mine the other day as the rust was beginning to go further than I like. Oh, while thinking about it, check in the roof channels- you need to remove the filler strips to have a good look. Many cars rust there because during manufacture, the automated sprayer missed the outer edges. Both my lupos had the same rust spot. I just cleaned it up and sealed with underbody spray (waxoyl). Can't see it once the fillers are back in.

how much does that service cost in Canada?

Thanks for the pointers! I will address those edges. I had read about the roof channel issue here on this forum and was looking at the strips as I washed it up for this procedure. What holds the strips in place?

I went to a local body shop last Friday and asked if they did under coating. The owner said no, which didn't surprise me but then he turned to one of his fellows and said "Unless you are interested." The fellow said "Yes I'll do it!" He did a pretty good job and the charge was $420 tax in. I thought it was quite reasonable, I have no idea how that compares with other shops, I'm happy. Saves me from crawling around in the snow.

Got the oil changed, the antifreeze upgraded and an electric heating pad block heater done yesterday. Now we have a dry bearing sort of sound coming from the pulley end of the engine. Hmm. And we need to drive 8 hours in it tomorrow!

Water pump (most likely)? If it's an original VW one, it will fail. They all do, at around 80k km. the seal design lets it down. Instead of using a standard seal, they've gone for a flexi spring and ring seal. Trouble is that the seal can stick, then when the engine is started again, it twists the flexi spring and seal, which then moves. Also as the bearing wears, instead of the seal simply making contact along a different place on the shaft, the impellor hits the case. Then it breaks as it's made of plastic! After market replacements use a cast impellor and a standard shaft seal. They last. Price in the UK around £15 delivered.

Ribbed belt tensioner? They last a long time, about 150k km. I've never seen one fail catastrophically and they just grind and rattle waiting for you to change it... though @Rich may have experienced something interesting. Quick and easy to change. Some VW engines are fitted with a left hand threaded bolt.

Cam belt tensioner (unlikely though as they're usually high quality bearings)? Sadly no easy way to check it without dismantling. But, the belt running line will change a little if it is wearing. Oh, and you get a noticeable whirring chirping sound as the edge of the belt teeth skuff with the plastic guide. The belt tension is more critical to be fair.

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

If the antifreeze freezes for whatever reason you don't have a dead cambelt.

Er, ok, didn't think of that.... chances are something else would almost certainly have been damaged if the coolant solidifies and expands. But yeah, maybe vw pump designers are smarter than i thought. :) 

Good info, thanks! 

The shop that got the car ready for inspection charged me for a timing belt change which normally includes the water pump but with their record this far anything is possible!

Yes it could be, I am booked up again today so will check it out tomorrow. It made the 8 hour trip yesterday, you can't hear it from inside but stand in front and it's a bit nasty!

Not that old yet! 😉 Love doing long trips in this one! Comfortable as heck, hard to believe it is such a small car from the inside!

Update on the engine noise. Turns out it is the AC clutch pulley bearings. Seized now and stopped the engine from starting. Starts and runs fine without the belt on so now to find the parts... looks like the AC compressor off my 04 Jetta is different but not sure yet if the pulley is too. There can't be a lot of different ones I wouldn't think...

Back on the road to do that 8 hour trip again tomorrow. Sure wish the Lupo was drivable. Looks like it will be done in the 944 instead, it's comfortable on long hauls too just uses a bit more fuel and the heater is not as good.

Edited by oprn

4 hours ago, Rich said:

Replacement from a Polo.

No Polos in this country, only Jettas, Gulfs and the new Beetle and they all pretty much share the same bits.

Not entirely sure, but I think a few Plymouth models share some older vdub and renault parts if you're looking at a compressor swap

If it is just the bearing, you may be able to get a bearing puller on the end once the friction plate is off. Usually a hex key bolt holding it onto a splined shaft. If you then use a 3 way hub puller, with the central bit resting on a socket (to avoid the splined shaft), just inside the siezed inner race, you might get lucky and be able to slide it off the compressor... and without needing to degas it. If you do manage to remove the pulley with the bearing inside it, it's just a case of pressing out the ball bearing and sticking in a new one for perhaps only a couple of bucks. Fiddly work, but you might get lucky!

in the mean time, you could just bung on a shorter belt and simply bypass the compressor (but not 100% as i'm not sure what route the belt takes ariund the engine....).

Yes the Plymouth Horizon and Dodge Omni back in the '70s and early '80s had a 1700cc version of the 1600cc Rabbit engine. All the accessories were Chrysler parts to my knowledge. Is there any interchangeability between this Lupo 1400cc engine and the early Rabbit 1600?

I will check into the possibility of a shorter belt to run the charging system until I can find the AC compressor parts. Thanks.