Greetings from the Canada!

oprn

there's no level, just pressure.

i wouldn't drive it or start it without a thorough look considering how rare it is.

good luck with the glass, get them to supply it.

Welcome to the minefield that is the oil pressure sensor, my ex mrs had an issue with a flashing oil light, I replaced the sensor with a genuine one, replaced the cable, flushed the engine, replaced the clocks, removed the sump to clean the oil pick up pipe. my first port of call would be the switch as they don't like non genuine ones and the current one may have just had it. Oh I also resealed the crack in the block where someone had previously screwed it in and split it!

Ok, so it does flash when it is triggered? That is confusing me as any VW or other makes for that matter I have had in the past have a steady on for no pressure and steady off when there is. Also what should the oil pressure be at idle if I was to screw a gauge in?

Edited by oprn

everyone's calling it a sensor, but it is just a switch I think on that engine (no experience of it)? it IS possible that the earth side of the circuit has interference on it which is being passed through the non-earthed line. So there may be a source of 'noise'. may be worth checking the engine earth.

So the oil light doesn't normally flash when triggered then - or does it? For instance when you turn the key on and the engine is not running, does the oil light normally flash? As in is there circuitry that makes it go on and off to alert the driver?  If not then yes we have a bad connection or a ground fault feed back condition.

I wish this car was here so I could check it out myself instead of relying on someone I don't even know 4 hours away!

Frustrated!!

Edited by oprn
spelling

my best guess is that there's a circuit in the cluster that lights up the warning lamps and then turns them off till you start. once the engine is running, it probably runs in 'normal' mode with the warning light controlled by the sensor. i haven't worked on that model... try rich?

back window sorted?

Edited by mk2

No, no action from the trucking company on the back glass yet. They will likely drag their feet and hope I go away. My glass supplier wants to know if the back glass is heated so waiting for a reply on that. I may have to find one myself and try to get a settlement later.

yes it is heated... you absolutely need it to be replaced at the earliest convenience. the longer the car is left open, the more likely the interior will deteriorate. damp, insects, dust, spores and who knows what else will find its way in. even if it is in a customs bonded warehouse. being a bonded window, it needs to be done by an expert.

see if you can track down the part number. once they have that, they have no excuse. 

i'm curious- what would happen if the car was written off? what if they 'destroyed' it? would you get all your money back? what's the process if it all goes downhill? i might have an idea....

Edited by mk2

The window I am told is complete and all in place and holding, not one hole anywhere, just cracked into a million pieces like tempered glass does. All it would take is the pressure of slamming a door and it would be completely gone! 

The car has passed customs already (federal) and has been trucked to the nearest city to us and needs to pass an "out of province" inspection to drive it here. Each province has it's own standards. So if I cannot get it to pass it becomes a parts car at my expense. Do what I like with it, plant flowers in it, cut the roof off and haul hay bales in the field but can't use it on the road. 

If the trucking company's insurance company (if they have one that covers cargo) writes it off then we will have to negotiate a deal.

Now with the oil pressure thing looming I almost wish to be rid of the whole thing. Too soon to jump to judgement on that yet though.

to be honest, i wouldn't worry about the oil light. statistically, it is very very unlikely for the engine to be running without any oil pressure. especially for the low milage it has. if the glass is still in place, a 'temporary' fix is to paint the entire glass with clear laquer to allow it to glue all the fragments together. or lots of tape.

your thinking about being a write off, claiming insurance then buying it again at a lower price is my way.... :) until its registered, its just parts... no write off record!

to get it through compliance, headlights, wing mirrors  & tyres.

Edited by mk2

20 minutes ago, Rich said:

i have seen plenty of those 1.4 engines lose oil pressure and burn through it so i wouldn't dismiss anything.

even if full of oil? what's the reason rich? if rings, it'd be smokey. if leak, there'd be oil everywhere. if oil pump, it'd make a right racket. if completely worn out engine, there'd be oil pressure when cold and oil light would come on once the oil gets heated up and runny. but, you're right of course-  if it were my car, i'd be out investigating. sadly @oprn can't check the car because it's two hours away from him. I'm guessing some numpty is just giving him news without much detail. creates more stress than being helpful....

4 hours ago, Rich said:

rings is normally the one, sometimes the head.

I'm an eager beaver so i would have driven for two hours to look.

You read my mind Rich! I am on call here at work just now so cannot go out of out service area but that changes tomorrow. Then there is the little issue of my son's school graduation this weekend. I am getting the distinct feeling that the mechanic is waiting on my car broker to make the next move, the broker is waiting on the trucking company, the trucking company is waiting on the insurance company and the insurance company is looking for a cheap way out of this. 

I desperately need to get over there and light a fire under them ALL! Unfortunately it looks like 2 weeks before I am freed up to do that unless I take an unpaid day off work...

Then there will be more than just looking going on - trust me!

Edited by oprn

Thanks for the offer! It may come down to that yet. A friend of mine owns a glass shop and has a supplier in Mexico so he is assuming there are Lupos there. 

What are you asking for price and do you have any idea what shipping would cost?

8 hours ago, oprn said:

A friend of mine owns a glass shop and has a supplier in Mexico so he is assuming there are Lupos there.

There are, but it's not the same car. The car sold as "Lupo" in Mexico is what in Europe was called "Fox", a completely different model.

Lupos were only sold in Europe and some Asian markets like Japan or Taiwan.

55 minutes ago, Rich said:

buying the glass is all irrelevant compared to postage on it. 

yeah, and it'd need crating up. but there are some good shipping companies out there who can do consolidated international freight. it works on volume instead of weight when sea freight. glass £10 (used). shipping £150ish? time 6wks. plus import tax?

I heard back from my glass shop buddy. His supplier does have access to the factory in Mexico that makes glass for VW but they do not have a listing for a part number for the Lupo because they are bringing in glass for Canadian vehicles.  They will not or cannot (I'm not sure which) order it without a part number. 

Would someone here have access to the VW part number for it? Thanks!