Honest price advice / valuation please...

Monty

Hello all,

I'm seeking some valuation/price advice, as I MAY be tasked with selling my father-in laws Lupo and yes, the mileage is correct...see below for the details, 

Can anyone sensibly advise me, I'll reply collectively once I;ve received some feed back, thank you in advance.

Lupo 1.4S, A/C, '55 plate.......16,900mls, yes 16,900mls....Dealer serviced all it's life, 2 owners father and son, one 25mm x 4mm scuff on a bumber corner and a 20mm craze in paint of rear bumper top, other than that, unmarked inside and out.

What could it be worth?

If I was you I would rent good dry storage (if you don't have any available) and sit on it for twenty years.

You're not near the big money yet.

low mileage gti's aren't there yet, a bashed shirt journey low mileage car isn't going to do anywhere near what it should.

This should give you an idea: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/53-2003-Volkswagen-Lupo-1-4-Sport-Bright-Yellow-ONLY-31-000-MILES-1-OWNER/192452678054

1 owner, poor colour, 100hp 16v Sport as opposed to 75hp S, Trader premium.

If the car is IOW then you will be taking a hit as well.

yeah, the wings are a different colour...

it doesn't have pop out rear windows which is unusual for that model.

yeah rich is right (god i'm fedup saying that all the time!). it should be worth more, but me thinks you'd be lucky to get more than £1500. there are quite a few about, and sadly the type of buyer is 'my first car', as price usually is limited. Lupo enthusiasts generally go for gti's or SDIs. Anyone else is just seeing the car as a cheap small (and old) runabout. the car was manufactured about 14 years ago now.

41 minutes ago, mk2 said:

it doesn't have pop out rear windows which is unusual for that model.

yeah rich is right (god i'm fedup saying that all the time!). it should be worth more, but me thinks you'd be lucky to get more than £1500. there are quite a few about, and sadly the type of buyer is 'my first car', as price usually is limited. Lupo enthusiasts generally go for gti's or SDIs. Anyone else is just seeing the car as a cheap small (and old) runabout. the car was manufactured about 14 years ago now.

100bhp models didn't come with pop outs ;)

Agree that those in the know go for SDi's as that's superior to everything else.

1 hour ago, Sausage said:

You forgot the TDI, i collect them.

TDIs run funny. i mean how can a three cylinder engine, running a four stroke cycle be right? I wish there was a four cylinder version of the same engine, with the same ancillaries. it'd be great in a lupo... and smooth being 4 cylinder.

yeah, tdis are good though... :)

10 hours ago, Rich said:

no complaints about the tdi.

sdi shakes you to the bone more so.

Just tweak the idle a bit. I find they're reasonably smooth when moving, just the OEM idle is sickeningly shakey.

I'd like a TDI or GTi currently. Keeping a lookout round my area.

Yeah I finally figured out how to mess with the idle speed adjustment. It allows you a small range, but not enough to make much difference. I tired slowing down idle to the lowest limit (from memory about 816 rpm) to max (980 ish), and sure there are resonant spots where it's a bit smoother, but generally I'd say it doesn't have a massive effect. Especially when there's an injector imbalance.... Neat to know though.

Whilst doing it, I did discover that there are (at least) two types of SDI ecu. On my silver 2001 SDI, there's an older ECU which allows many more adjustments to be made. Also VCDS has the label tables for it. On the 2003 Black Sdi, the later ECU locks you out. Hardly anything can be tweaked. And no label tables for all the measuring blocks...

It made a huge difference on my SDI. Basically transformed the car from something resembling a tractor into a slightly rough but normal diesel car.