Interesting Lupo On Ebay...

JoeyEunos

I knew I recognised that car. I went to visit this Lupo (to the tune of 2 hours in my car) a few years ago, fully intent on buying it. So so glad I didn't. Not the same owner. Back then it was owned by someone on here but I'll refrain from name dropping, I think Rich knows though... he can decide on his conscience. Strangely enough, he wouldn't let me or my passenger take it for a spin before buying.

It's ragged. Honestly. Utterly trashed. The seller isn't being entirely honest either, because 160km mileage? In his dreams. In fact I wonder if it's the same guy because it had 230km on when I viewed it, yet he told me it had 120km on the clock. Someone's in for a nasty shock.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a 3L. Many on here would. They're rare and a bit special and they'll almost certainly be seen as iconic in a few years. Just don't get this one unless you fancy a challenge.

43 minutes ago, Rich said:

I have no idea what you are on about.

i wouldn't say it was that bad, you just have to see through the foulness but there is definitely a car lurking beneath.

Yes, the vehicle runĀ (past tense), but do you really want to take on all that baggage? To get that Lupo mint required dedication andĀ so much work, and that was 3 years ago when I visited it. Throw in the fact that 3L panels and parts are a bit more expensive than regular ones, so all these things start to bump the price up on the work required.

The car itself isn't that bad.. Just a panel here, a bumperĀ there, and then there was that problem with the stop/start (which there was, he denied it, but it was definitely not right). All these things add up, soon enough you're a grand or more in the hole and still have a knackered old Lupo 3L with loads of miles and no genuine re-sale value. You can go and get yourself a newer one from Holland or Germany and ship it back here, register it, insure it, tax it (Ā£0) etc,Ā for around 3-4 grand. People have done it from this forum. That is undoubtedly the route I would take if I was a discerning 3L buyer. In the case of this car, it's overpriced at Ā£600. For Ā£300, I'd give it a punt on the back of obtaining as manyĀ second hand parts as possible.

Regardless of the condition, it could end up being the cheapest to run and most economical sub Ā£1000 car you'd ever find.Ā 

Or you could plow too much money into it, argue with the wife about it until she leaves you. Both aren't bad options.

18 hours ago, Rich said:

I'm not saying make a minter, I'm saying buy it, make it work and fix it as you go.

Ā 

Making it go probably won't take much to be fair. Electrical ticking noises, check fuel pump, check ignition, workĀ from there. I just worry about all the other issues you'll encounter once it is running again. Are working jacking points required for an MOT?