Problems with full length sunroof.

mike.gamble

The sunroof on my car is now giving me problems. I have the full length webasto style roof and it looks like ive been having issues with blocked drainage holes so today I was going to sort them out.

However, I went to it this afternoon and went to open the sunroof to access the drains and as I pressed the button I got the normal sound of the motor then nothing. It didn’t open. When I pressed close, I got the corresponding click from the motor.

As I’m getting a click when I press the buttons I’m guessing that eliminates an electrical issue but, what do I do now?

No frost or freezing, it just stopped!

im just dropping the headlining down now to look at the sunroof and also to check the drainage holes which I think are blocked but, I’m struggling to work out how to remove these sunroof clips?

Ive removed everything else now but, I can’t see how these fix!!

6D34CBF2-D1E4-46E5-9B48-87538BADB237.jpeg

46 minutes ago, mike.gamble said:

I’m guessing this rusty water stain could be linked to the problem!

D7AF9F32-6A46-4E04-A46F-BB90AEA3C295.jpeg

I don't suspect that will be doing it any favours. I now feel the need to check mine at some point...

I've done a photo based 'how-to' remove headlining and all the related bits. I'll post it one day. thought may as well take pics when i completely rebuilt the roof, a and b pillars...

There's a little cap that covers the clip, which then reveals two screws underneath. Rich's key is pointing at where you want to poke the screwdriver in and pop the cap off...

I’ve been scratching my head a bit with this, with regards to the leaks. 

I was expecting to find blocked drainage tubes but, there’s nothing there and they’re not missing!

The metal roof of the car was soaked with condensation. If it hadn’t been for the signs of the watery rust on the motor cover I’d have almost thought that the car had got wet and not dried out properly, hence the condensation.

However, as I know there is something wrong with the motor my guess is that it hasn’t been locating/locking properly and there has been water ingress. Does that sound about right?

I just don’t want to go out and buy a new motor and fit it and refit everything without knowing what caused the leak, as it may still be there afterwards!

With the weather at the moment, I don’t need a hose pipe!!

If I remove the motor, will I be able to just to slide the roof back? 

Also, with regards to the ‘click’ of the motor when I press the buttons, is the sunroof fault liable to be the motor or, is there some microswitch in there as well?

E08804A3-019B-4B4A-9EB9-35E57735F9F6.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve just had chance to have another crack at this.

I’ve dropped the motor down and when powered up, it works fine in both directions so, I’m guessing it’s not the motor.

However, when I look in the that the drive wheel goes into, it does look crappy and is wet.

Also, with the motor should I just be able to slide the sunroof back by hand? I’ve given it a gentle push but there does seem to be a bit of resistance 

The drive cable when looked at through the little opening, isn’t looking in that good a condition. It’s quite brown and gunky in there.

I’ve just bought a can of WD40 with a nozzle on it and injected almost half a can into both sides of the opening so, hopefully that with help release some of the stiffness?

If I do need to remove the sunroof further if I can’t get it to push backwards, can I remove the roof I’m one complete piece by removing these small screws on the edges?